Sicilian Bride

Sicily is awash in fragrances, some of the most famous are: lemon, blood orange, jasmine and bergamot, rosemary, myrtle, sage, basil, figs and cucumbers, coffee and pink pepper and sly violet. Possets plays with all those and brings in a few happy notes of our own to seduce your senses.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Sicilian Bride

Post by Boudicca »

Possets description:
There is nothing sweeter and frothier than a Sicilian Wedding. I was lucky enough to find one once in a tiny jewelbox of a tucked away church and it was a military wedding. The couple walked under crossed swords which the white clad officers clattered overhead. The bride was a raven haired beauty in a froth of white tulle, the groom was immaculate. To recall this great vision, I have put together many of the traditional Sicilian treats you would find at a great reception: candied cherries of the most aromatic variety, a drop of banana for the thrill of its volatility.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
crimescenecleanup
mortal
mortal

Re: Sicilian Bride

Post by crimescenecleanup »

I rarely test a perfume straight out of the mailbox. I may amend this review after the bottle has had a few weeks to rest.

At first sniff, when I opened the cap, I didn't identify any of the notes. My reaction was simply "Oh! How happy and joyful!"

And it is.

On the skin, this is one of those Possets that develops and goes through many different stages. At first it was obviously candied cherries, but very fine candied cherries. There was cherry, and there a candied/syrup quality, but that is where the similarity to cheap Maraschinos end. Maybe these are Morello cherries, candied in a home kitchen. There is something about the cherry note that is marvelously uplifting.

The next stage, it is fresh fruit salad. The banana does not stand out, and never goes artificial here. It helps to give a a sweetness that balances the cherry.

You would think a candied cherry would be sweet enough, but no, over time these cherries prove to be dark, a little boozy, and with a hint of tart and bitter.

In the final stage a heavenly, rich background develops. It is like the richness of full cream, or darkest chocolate, or vanilla bean paste, or fine liqueurs, although I can't identify any of those notes specifically.
The base of this scent just has that quality of being decadent without being sweet. It is incredibly sensual.

But just when you think this scent might go too far and become too heavy and serious, those cheerful candied fruits pull it back from the brink.

As a blind bottle purchase, I was worried that this would be too sugary, too simple. Ha! That'll teach me to make assumptions about possets.

Really, this is a lovely, complex scent that could be worn by a woman of any age and for many occasions. I am so glad I took a chance on it
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

I'm so glad to see this review! I had thought about ordering the Bride but was dissuaded by the banana. Maybe I'll take a chance after all, since it sounds wonderful and not banana-heavy.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
crimescenecleanup
mortal
mortal

Post by crimescenecleanup »

The banana note is very, very light, at least in my experience.

This perfume has staying power! Not a lot throw, but definite staying power.

Even after I showered last night, I could still smell it on my wrists.

It was like sleeping cuddled up to a tray of the finest, fanciest pastries.

All night I had dreams about planning weddings! That must have been the cause.