The Funeral Dirge (Chopin)

We are crossing the sense of smell and hearing and I think you will be delighted with the perfumes which celebrate two senses which are seldom combined. Your spine tingling favorites put to perfume: The Funeral March of a Marionette, Toccata and Fugue, Night on Bare Mountain, all the classics and a few moderns

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

The Funeral Dirge (Chopin)

Post by Boudicca » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:34 pm

Everyone knows this simple but evocative tune, it could not be anything else but the classic played over the dead. Dried leaves, brown musk, molasses liquor, dandelion, tomato leaf, and violet leaf. This is a dignified and poignant blend, yes it is haunting and alluring at the same time.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Re: The Funeral Dirge (Chopin)

Post by funkmoppet2 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Sharp greenery and musk from the bottle, with musks and a slight earthy sweetness from the molasses as it dries. This one has a chypre vibe to it without going full chypre. It's seamlessly blended, and I can't detect the tomato or violet leaf individually, but rather suspect that they're adding to the wonderful earthy base. It's so very musky on the dry down without losing the fresh green stems of the dandelion. This is gorgeous.

Angewl
mortal
mortal

Post by Angewl » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:53 am

I completely agree that this has a chypre vibe to it. It's hard to describe, but it does smell green to me. Green, musky, and lightly sweet. This scent is so delectably autumnal. It's my favorite out of the decants I got, when I thought that Pavane would have won me over. This needs to be permanent.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:16 pm

Angewl wrote:I completely agree that this has a chypre vibe to it. It's hard to describe, but it does smell green to me. Green, musky, and lightly sweet. This scent is so delectably autumnal. It's my favorite out of the decants I got, when I thought that Pavane would have won me over. This needs to be permanent.
You and hill are making it even more difficult for me to narrow down my list. This one sounds wonderful, and I do love tomato leaf as a note.

Angewl
mortal
mortal

Post by Angewl » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:28 pm

Atropos wrote:
Angewl wrote:I completely agree that this has a chypre vibe to it. It's hard to describe, but it does smell green to me. Green, musky, and lightly sweet. This scent is so delectably autumnal. It's my favorite out of the decants I got, when I thought that Pavane would have won me over. This needs to be permanent.
You and hill are making it even more difficult for me to narrow down my list. This one sounds wonderful, and I do love tomato leaf as a note.
Well I can definitely smell the tomato leaf. <3 It's lovely.

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:12 pm

Angewl wrote:Well I can definitely smell the tomato leaf. <3 It's lovely.
Yes, and I LOVE how it plays out down the line too. At first I thought it was getting lost, but when I compared it to Dies Irae I realized how much it hangs on and plays such a strong role. It really is lovely.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:05 am

I'm enjoying this a lot. I was worried that it might veer too green and sharp for me, but it's just right (quoth Goldilocks). This is a wonderful fall fragrance, brisk and delightfully reminiscent of some of my favorite chypre possets. It's too cheerful to be a dirge! :pumpha:
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Petticoats wrote:I'm enjoying this a lot. I was worried that it might veer too green and sharp for me, but it's just right (quoth Goldilocks). This is a wonderful fall fragrance, brisk and delightfully reminiscent of some of my favorite chypre possets. It's too cheerful to be a dirge! :pumpha:
This is another one I'm sorry I didn't get to try. :sad: