The Funeral March of a Marionette (Gounod)

We are crossing the sense of smell and hearing and I think you will be delighted with the perfumes which celebrate two senses which are seldom combined. Your spine tingling favorites put to perfume: The Funeral March of a Marionette, Toccata and Fugue, Night on Bare Mountain, all the classics and a few moderns

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

The Funeral March of a Marionette (Gounod)

Post by Boudicca »

A very woody blend (mahogany, cedar, white sandalwood, wet loblolly), a bit of salt, some orange pekoe tea, a wilted rose bouquet, a whiff of brass from the trimmings of the poor marionette's casket. He had 6 teddy bears for pall bearers, and innumerable mourners. A sad and showy sendoff, the perfect thing for a little Halloween drama in your best black outfit.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Re: The Funeral March of a Marionette (Gounod)

Post by funkmoppet2 »

I was hoping for a lot of wood, but the rose element in this is so strong that it dominates the whole way through, and unfortunately the rose is a powdery tea-rose variety. In truth, it's a great interpretation of the inspiration as I can totally visualise a funeral processions of dolls, as it has a kind of pretense of a real funeral bouquet thing going on that's quite remarkable. I can't smell any tea, or brass, and the wood is drowned out by the florals - so alas, this just isn't for me.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

funkmoppet2 wrote:I was hoping for a lot of wood, but the rose element in this is so strong that it dominates the whole way through...I can't smell any tea, or brass, and the wood is drowned out by the florals - so alas, this just isn't for me.
I'm wondering how much this one will shift. I was curious about it and am put off by the mostly roses, but I also know that sometimes (especially with the florals) if I wait a few months they shift down and the other notes come out. Ohhhh decisions decisions. Does this smell like it might be a morpher at all, or does it smell like it's really going to be heavy on the rose forever?
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 »

Maya wrote:
funkmoppet2 wrote:I was hoping for a lot of wood, but the rose element in this is so strong that it dominates the whole way through...I can't smell any tea, or brass, and the wood is drowned out by the florals - so alas, this just isn't for me.
I'm wondering how much this one will shift. I was curious about it and am put off by the mostly roses, but I also know that sometimes (especially with the florals) if I wait a few months they shift down and the other notes come out. Ohhhh decisions decisions. Does this smell like it might be a morpher at all, or does it smell like it's really going to be heavy on the rose forever?
Given that it's got so many wood notes in it that I couldn't smell from a fresh-off-the-line bottle, I'm going to say that yes, it'll morph over time. My main issue with Marionette is the type of rose. Had it been a fresh rose, I could roll with it, but I just can't do the tea-rose/powdery rose thing. Of course it wouldn't quite work as well theme wise, with a fresh rose note - there's the rub!
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

funkmoppet2 wrote:
Maya wrote:
Given that it's got so many wood notes in it that I couldn't smell from a fresh-off-the-line bottle, I'm going to say that yes, it'll morph over time. My main issue with Marionette is the type of rose. Had it been a fresh rose, I could roll with it, but I just can't do the tea-rose/powdery rose thing. Of course it wouldn't quite work as well theme wise, with a fresh rose note - there's the rub!

Oh thanks Funkmoppet! I think you and I have similar skin chem. I can't do tea rose either, yellow, fresh, yes, but not teas, they turn to powder on me too. I think this one will stay off my list of "gets", and stay on my "admire from afar" list instead.