Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy (Tchaikovsky)

Dark beauty, smooth resins, and sexy musks. It's the season to be winsome, to flit about in black satin in the snow, and to beguile with your fragrance. Inspired by all of the excellent music about this holiday season. (The Nutcracker is an especial source of perfume magic this time around.)

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy (Tchaikovsky)

Post by Boudicca »

Possets description:
Fruit wine with a powerful violet snap to it. Very cold but deeply musky. Fruit never smelled so perfumy before, it really crosses the line, as when an ingredient is used in a different context, here fruit is used as a volatile part of the perfume and does it with great finesse. Very graceful and quite regal I would say.

One of the components in this blend has been discontinued by the maker and I don't have a replacement. It is a lovely and quirky thing and this is its swan song. I believe that I have enough of that ingredient to make a season's worth of this blend, but if I am wrong then be forewarned. I am taking a risk, but I think it's worth it.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
stellamaris
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy (Tchaikovsky)

Post by stellamaris »

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: this is really gorgeous. Very rich and fruity but not too fruity. Heh. It has a very complex nature, it's not just sharp and "one fruit". I think I smell apricot, very fresh.
jackieo
archangel
archangel

Post by jackieo »

Oh this is spectacular. Dark fruit and lovely back note of a soft floral. I'm so happy that I took the chance on it since I'm iffy on violet. Well done Fabienne!
puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Post by puck_nc »

Origin: Straight from Possets

Initial Thoughts: I tend to avoid wine scents. Except Madeira works beautifully on me. I tend to avoid violet. Except Silver Violets works stunningly on me. Bring the two together...I had to see what happened.

In the Bottle: Icewine! This smells like a really good bottle of icewine with the frigid cold and fruity wine.

Wet: Cool icewine now, but not bone-chillingly cold as it was in the bottle. It's also a bit more fruit and a bit less wine than it was in the bottle.

Drydown: And finally the violet is peeping out, lending an airy note of springtime the a wintry scent. For me the fruit of this is now faded into the background and we have a chilly, slightly citrus-y sweet floral.

Verdict: I think this one is a winner.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

This is tempting me despite being "foody", violets are one of the few florals that tend to agree with me. hmmmmm...
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka »

On me, this is VERY fruity. Such a happy scent! Not complex on me at all - just icewine - but definitely worth having a bottle for a pick-me-up :froggie:
woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango »

In the vial: oh very nice sweet fruity scent! The violet is just slightly hiding in the background.

On me: this starts of still very fruity but then my darn body chemistry ruins it. *sigh* In the end, on me it becomes a very sharp and citrusy floral which actually hurts my nose. I tend to amp some florals alot though so don't let that scare you away. In the bottle it is so nice, fruity but with complexity. If it stayed like that on me it would totally have been a keeper. *sigh*

EDIT: I tried this again for teh 30 day challenge and it has actually mellowed alot since aging! Now the fruit is more predominant. There is something kind of plasticy about it at times but this seems to come and go.
waxesnostalgic
a spark
a spark

Post by waxesnostalgic »

I got a decant of this and have worn it twice. It starts out rather fruity on me, though it's lightened by the floral violet. It feels very cool, like the wine is chilled. I'm not sure what kind of fruit it is--maybe more than one, though I'm definitely getting a sense of a dark fruit of some kind. I'm not getting any of the citrus others got, which doesn't really disappoint me. After several hours of wear the violet begins to turn a little powdery on me, but it's still nice.

It's a beautiful scent.