A Lady in Her Own Right (floral)

What Georgetown aspired to be and the perfumes which are the scent left still in the air--from the chypres which defined that era, to the modern musks which somehow manage to paint a vivid portrait of every bit of it.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

A Lady in Her Own Right (floral)

Post by Maya »

Possets description: "When one has their own title which they have inherited from their family and not married into, it is referred to as "in her own right". So, if one is allowed the title of Lady, and it was not through marriage, then you are referred to as "A lady in her own right". This is considered far finer than to marry into a title.

Neroli is one of the most precious flower essences and always denotes a refined sense of taste in scent. Combined with a light kiss of beeswax, and sandalwood to round out things. A drop of myrtle, and a white musk backdrop should round out this splendid perfume which has enough gravitas to pass muster but with a wink to cause trouble. Ladies are actually known to do that."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Re: A Lady in Her Own Right (floral)

Post by katiushka »

People on the Cocktail Party Collection review thread have said this is lovely. It IS lovely in the bottle, and would be on me too...if not for my darned skin chemistry that amps up the sweetness tenfold! (I had a similar experience with "Holy, Holy, Holy".) If it were just a little less sweet on me, it would be the scent of Easter in an Orthodox church - beeswax candles and beautiful heady flowers. But this to the power of ten made me keel over and beg for mercy. Great to know it works on others - I do hope it finds it will find its rightful owner :D (If it works on you, you're in luck - this stuff has amazing throw!)
sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut »

As I am now a converted floral hater thanks to Fabienne, I purchase one floral fragrance from each collection. A Lady in Her Own Right is all about the neroli on me. There is a bit of soft beeswax and musk but I am always amazed at how Fabienne's floral smell so real, like you walked into a garden or a florist's shop. It is only slightly sweet on me which seems to come from the musk. Yes, the sillage is amazing and so is the longevity. I can see why neroli/orange blossom is used in so many fragrances.
sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut »

Update - I found A Lady in Her Own Right had a very nostalgic smell for my but, I couldn't remember what it was. I kept thinking of my Grandmother but, it isn't the type of perfume that she would have worn. I finally figured out that it was these bath beads she had from France or Italy that she used to let me use when she babysat me. I really love this scent but, it is a little too floral for me, so today I layered it with Wings of an Angel and it was just perfect. The two seem made for each other.
Thaleia
mortal
mortal

Post by Thaleia »

Hm, this is an interesting one! It starts out very strongly neroli with everything else way in the background, and the drydown (many hours later) is a sort of honeyed orange blossom. This has a lot of staying power and is quite strong -- a little goes a long way. It's quite sweet, almost too sweet (which made me think initially that it might not be the best for me), but I can see the potential for it aging gracefully. I feel like this will be a great scent for very dressy occasions.
Quod scimus loquimur, quod vidimus testamur
Narcisse
mortal
mortal

Post by Narcisse »

I completely concur with the prior reviews it is unabashedly Neroli on the open and for a good 20-40 minutes. There is absolutely a sweetness that is less like beeswax than true honey.It has calmed down quite a bit from the initial day I received it and tested it. If you amp sweetness I completely see how this could go headache inducing to down right nauseating. Now with that said it is a very pretty scent and much like Alabama I do surprisingly like it. However, much like the Moon, it is not a scent I will reach for often. The musky beeswax aspect is similar in feel if not note composition exactly only with a heavy orange blossom note. It also reminds me of BPAL's Jezebel in terms of the sweetly floral notes with this one not having the astringent rose that cuts the sweetness and the balsamic ruddiness of the sandalwood. I will most likely not wear this until the winter months as the humidity makes the silage radius rather large and it is not polite to subject others to your scent because that is how you get perfume wearing banned from office spaces. It lovely and unapologetically orange blossom honey. I think there actually used to be an Neroli body powder that an older neighbor had on her dressing table that I would sniff and powder myself with when she would babysit me. I do not feel it is an "old lady" perfume despite that statement because most people would now think of late 70's and early 80's as granny perfumes. It is something you would see Mae West wearing in Belle of the Nineties.