The Countess (chypre)

What Georgetown aspired to be and the perfumes which are the scent left still in the air--from the chypres which defined that era, to the modern musks which somehow manage to paint a vivid portrait of every bit of it.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Countess (chypre)

Post by Maya »

Possets description: "She was a very beautiful blonde who reminded me of Eva Marie Saint. She had a twinkle in her eye and everyone called her a golddigger behind her back. This was The Countess Cecile deRochfort, one of the most celebrated ladies in all of Georgetown and one of the few people my mother eternally envied. Cecile did have a great and puckish sense of humor and a fabulous sense of style. I would say that at this time of year she would have favored a "summer chypre" made cooling by the addition of pink Indian River grapefruit zest and something which I call "igneous musk" because it is a stone-like musk which is quite unusual and very arousing. Musky, chypre, fruity, fabulous."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
celandine
primordial
primordial

Re: The Countess (chypre)

Post by celandine »

I've tried this perfume twice now, and I just can't detect any single notes so I'm not sure how helpful this review will be, but I'll give it a shot in my own (wordy) style! :)

Sometimes people say a perfume smells like grandmas, and I know what they mean - that breath of powder, maybe brushed with rose or lavender: a scent that doesn't make waves. My grandmother's house always smelled like that. Many years ago, when my grandmother passed away and we were cleaning out her house, we found a briefcase hidden up in her attic that was filled with old pictures and letters. One picture in particular stands out in my mind: it shows my grandmother in her nurse's uniform, leaning casually against a jeep, cigarette dangling from her fingers. Turns out the grandmother that invited us over for Sunday dinners, who always put an orange in the bottom of our Christmas stockings and who always made sure the cookie jar was full of Oreos; that same grandmother had once run away from home to join the Army during WWII. She met my grandfather there and after the war they married and settled down... far from her family. It was deliciously scandalous, and a lesson to me that everyone keeps secrets, even grandmothers. (Maybe especially grandmothers!)

To me, The Countess is the sort of perfume I imagine my grandmother might have worn back then, after the war, maybe to a victory party, or just out dancing on a date with my grandfather. It's a scent that keeps secrets; it's bold and bright and feminine, with a cool dash of mystery and allure. It's a perfume's perfume - no fruity gourmands or aquatics or even florals here, just pure intoxicating scent, and it lingers all day (as it should), like that feeling that haunts you when you come across a moment captured forever in an old photograph, hidden away in an attic.
Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics »

When it first landed (ordered when the party went live), the grapefruit was very obvious at the start, and definitely present but very integrated in the scent as it dried down.

After a few weeks of aging, the upfront grapefruit is almost gone, and what's left is a beautiful perfume that contains the sparkle and brightness of grapefruit without being "a grapefruit perfume." an experienced noise might find it, but a newer nose might not. It is drier and less fruit forward than cambienne white night. there's something like a soft green musk (maybe oakmoss?) that makes this feel richer and more anchored than the cambienne brut champagne.

If you like Fabienne's chypres and grapefruit scents, this is a winner.
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka »

Wow - I LOVE this! Complex chypre with just a tad of grapefruit. I get what the reviews mean by "bright" - as opposed to some darker chypres that are more winterlike and introverted (for example, Guerlain's Mitsouko is very dark, while Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle is much brighter), this one is more extroverted and great for summer. Makes one smell very intriguing and classy, but also happy and inviting. I actually don't think I've smelled anything quite like it before.

Longevity is great: I still catch whiffs of this on my skin twelve hours later. Unique wonderful scent, great longevity: this one will be getting my vote.

Also, this is VERY different from Diamond. So glad I got both :D
woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango »

Sadly this does not work on me. For too powdery and perfumey for my tastes. *sigh* ah well.
Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics »

I wore this again today. perfect in the summer heat and perfect when the local fog rolls in. it's a few months old and it's gotten richer and fuller. it's a beautiful elegant perfume. I get more and more wowed each time I visit the cocktail party scents. I can't get over how pretty they are, and especially how much fun they are to wear.