Portrait of a Lady (floral)

What Georgetown aspired to be and the perfumes which are the scent left still in the air--from the chypres which defined that era, to the modern musks which somehow manage to paint a vivid portrait of every bit of it.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Portrait of a Lady (floral)

Post by Maya »

Possets description: "My mother adored a good rose perfume. She declared that men just loved it and she always got compliments on it wherever she went. This is a special one which might have been what she wore when she was painted by Galpin. A combination of lovely cupped old roses and modern florist's roses combined with that unique scent of wet stone for balance. She also loved a stone-like scent and this one would have been a favorite of hers. Floral"
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
stellamaris
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Portrait of a Lady (floral)

Post by stellamaris »

:heartrise: oh my. Finally got to test this one out. I have to be "in the mood" for rose scents, I love them but some days I can't smell them, and other days I don't want to. Mother's Day seemed like the perfect one for roses.
And this, this, is a perfect rose perfume. It's not a one note rose, but a lovely sharp true rose (not powdery or old timey) with a blend of what I think of as florist's fridge (that smell you get when you walk into a florists). Gorgeous. Perfect. Will be needing one vat.
at least.
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics »

:postal: this only just arrived, plucked from the mail carrier's hand. That said, this is a beautiful rose. Gorgeous, rich, elegant, calendar rose. There is a little green in the background but it's more leaf than stone to my nose. Just flipping perfect. Many of my neighbors have rose bushes and this is just like sticking my face in one of those blooms. :rose4u:
Thaleia
mortal
mortal

Post by Thaleia »

Back in high school, I had this scent from Victoria's Secret called "Blushing Rose" that I wore all the time. It was a fresh, slightly musky rose scent with hints of green and aquatic, and it smelled just like this (though ever so slightly less sharply green). This scent brings back lots of memories, especially of swimming days for gym class - if only because I would get to bring it to school and use it, right before my English class that I had with a cute boy I liked at the time. :grin:

This is a rose scent I feel like I could dress up for parties, or use for fun get-togethers with friends. It's not too formal (like, say, Napoleon and Josephine) or sweet (like Silver Roses - don't get me wrong, I love these two scents too and use them fairly often!), but a more versatile go-to rose fragrance.

As far as Fabienne's rose scents go - and I'm a rose girl, so I've tried a good few of them! - I think I can safely say this is one of my new "rosy" favorites.
Quod scimus loquimur, quod vidimus testamur
Narcisse
mortal
mortal

Post by Narcisse »

This perfume opens with the same rose scent as you get it The Enormous Rose although the opium aspect of that one implies a velvety sensuality that this one does not. Do not get me wrong The Enormous Rose goes from lush strung out on a velvet settee listening to the pontifications of Aleister Crowley to trapped in Laura Ashley's sweater drawer circa 1985. ER goes very high keyed, so much so it makes my sinuses hurt, like stepping outside on a -35 night in VT, but it does have a lot of similarity to this scent. This opens with a very classic red rose scent that is very rich and deep not unlike Silver Roses or ER or Woman but it never gets sweet and it never gets the dried rose petals effect. The stone musk has the earthy/dirt note that you encounter in a fresh bag of potting soil albeit with a 1950's perfumer's class. This stays pretty linear the whole way through, the rose softens from the initial open and the more earthy musk aspect comes out. There is a hint of sweetness but nothing like SR or even Woman which has a richness from the patchouli and vetiver. It is a gorgeous scent that anyone who likes the rose genre of scents should try. It has become my de facto summer scent since I received it for my birthday. It absolutely has a "classic" perfume aspect to it but is in no way grandmotherly. The stone musk gives it a more modern edge, something about it vaguely reminds me of the sweet musky edge of Poison. No it does not smell like Poison, but the sweet muskiness that Poison imbued certainly has passing resemblance. I have to say it is one of the scents that I have had multiple people tell me smells amazing, some of which I know, some I did not. I now regret not getting a 10 ml of this, but as rose can be hit or miss on me I went conservative. It is absolutely the perfect perfume for the heat and humidity of southern summers. It just makes you feel clean and fresh but with a great sense of refinement.