Review Requests and Random Stuff

What Georgetown aspired to be and the perfumes which are the scent left still in the air--from the chypres which defined that era, to the modern musks which somehow manage to paint a vivid portrait of every bit of it.

Moderator: Maya

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Review Requests and Random Stuff

Post by Petticoats » Fri May 08, 2015 11:01 pm

I placed my order today, and in the venerable Petticoats tradition I am already second-guessing my choices--or, more accurately, my omissions. What I ended up with was 3336, Romanee-Conti, Bangles, Jesuit, and Desecrated. But I'm still curious about several that I didn't order...
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

stellamaris
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by stellamaris » Sat May 09, 2015 11:54 am

Petticoats wrote:Stellamaris, are there other Possets whose amber is comparable to the one in Amethyst? I find Dominions's and HopHead's ambers harsh, but I get along well with the ambers in Huile of Fortune, Seraphim, and Holy3, for example.
Petticoats I am sorry I did not see this due to the horrible work problem...
the amber is very cozy, and not very "resiny" imo, a beautiful well rounded not powdery amber to me, I do not find it like either Seraphim or Huile of Fortune, unfortunately I don't think I have a super sophisticated nose...

stellamaris
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by stellamaris » Sat May 09, 2015 11:59 am

speaking of my un-sophisticatedness...that is not a word...what is a chypre? so embarassed... :gnome:

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Sat May 09, 2015 1:08 pm

stellamaris wrote:
Petticoats wrote:Stellamaris, are there other Possets whose amber is comparable to the one in Amethyst? I find Dominions's and HopHead's ambers harsh, but I get along well with the ambers in Huile of Fortune, Seraphim, and Holy3, for example.
the amber is very cozy, and not very "resiny" imo, a beautiful well rounded not powdery amber to me, I do not find it like either Seraphim or Huile of Fortune, unfortunately I don't think I have a super sophisticated nose...
I don't think mine is sophisticated either, Stellamaris, but thank you for responding to my question. :rose4u:

A chypre is hard for me to describe, a kind of know-it-if-you-smell-it thing. I usually associate them with oakmoss, although I know that's not an ingredient in all of them. They have a kind of sophisticated air like classic perfumes, less sweet than modern ones. Fabienne does amazing chypres. Here, I'll let Wikipedia explain it, since I'm kind of thrashing about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chypre
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Sat May 09, 2015 7:48 pm

I have a very plebian nose and can never get the difference between a chypre and a fougere...orientals, musks...it all is so muddled to me. I find it more confusing in alcohol perfumes. At least with oils, I can often pick out notes.

Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics » Sat May 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Oh, the Jesuit does indeed sound seductive! Lavender, amber, coffee...thank you for the first review, ltrittipoe. Now I wish I'd added this to my cambienne order.

I'd be fearful if anyone can contrast/compare the Jesuit to hophead and/phyllotaxis or just spill more details.

Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics » Sat May 09, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm still learning the whole chypre meaning. Adding to the fun/challenge/mystery is that everyone seems to do them slightly differently.

Some fun reading about possets chypres and fougeres found on the blog:

https://possets.wordpress.com/2010/02/07/the-chypres/

https://possets.wordpress.com/2011/05/0 ... -of-ferns/

I have a question about when one describes a scent as "green:" does that mean it has a lot of galbanum (I seem to smell this often in many green scents), oakmoss, grassy notes, fougere, any or all of the above?

I do sometime get a sense of colors with certain scents, but I know green also is a perfumer's term that I don't fully get.

hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 » Sat May 09, 2015 10:01 pm

stellamaris wrote:
Amethyst definitely has a hefty dose of Hophead's amber in it, at least to my nose. But that's good for me, because I love the amber in Hophead and now Amethyst.

stellamaris
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by stellamaris » Sun May 10, 2015 11:35 am

hmm, ok at least I am not the only confused one :rose4u:

Fabiennes description helped me with the "old fashioned" thing, one of my favorite perfumes is in the Wiki description, Guerlain's Mitsouko, which always smelled to me like something someone would have worn in the roaring twenties.

Maladextrose
primordial
primordial

Post by Maladextrose » Mon May 11, 2015 5:20 am

I wasn't sure if I wanted Amethyst, but the reviews have me intrigued. I'd like to know more about the lavender actually. Is it quite herbal or softer/sweeter?

Did anyone pick up A Lady in her own right? Neroli is one of my favorite notes, but I'm a bit wary of the beeswax. If anyone does a review of this one, then I'd be much obliged.

There are so many perfumes in this collection that I want. Working my list down to something manageable is going to be difficult.