Definitions of Descriptions?

A redundant forum which is merged/subordinated to the News forum. This is here for history only and if you want to post about something regarding Possets, please do that in the news forum. Thanks.

Moderator: Maya

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

I simply cannot decide what Possets to start with! The descriptions and reviews make all of them sound heavenly. Some of the descriptions confuse me a little, though, and I wonder if it's possible to break down what some of them mean. For instance, as a fragrance newbie, I have no idea what "Oriental" means. Also, does "foody" mean that it smells like food (as in, you're wearing a pumpkin, or a piece of pie, etc.)? What, then, is the difference between foody and gourmand? I wonder if anyone is willing to write a quick breakdown for me.
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

Oh great. I swear I have been on this board nearly all day, and I only JUST saw that there is a podcast dedicated just to the definition of "Orientals". (shuffles off to download)
stephgem77
a spark
a spark

Post by stephgem77 »

There are some people on this forum who are really good at explaining what terms.. I know on the indroduce yourself forum, a lot of my questions were answered.
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

If you get really perplexed, try starting with the Newbies Sample Pack. It is composed of the most popular Possets of the last year and is pretty sure to please. If you tell me two more you would like, I will add them in as your extras. Can't lose on that one, and it's real reasonable too.
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

I can't wait! I'm still narrowing down which of the retours I want to splurge on based on their glowing reviews. I'm almost there!
1TrueEarthMama
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by 1TrueEarthMama »

Ok, I can try and help, maybe it will be helpful, maybe. From what I understand and have seen, some people make foodie and gourmond sononomous, while others describe strait up bakery and candy blends as foodie and more complex foodie but with other classes of notes in there like spicey, woody or floral, as gourmond. Orientals? Yeah, see the pod cast, they're not really my thing, and Fabienne does do a good job of describing them. Some people class fruity blends in with foodie, some classify them seperately. Many people class florals as spicy florals, strait up florals, creamy florals and fruity florals. Some people group woods and resins together, some make the destinction. How people will describe things often depends on which catagory they are partial to, and sometimes if you are iffy on a perfume, it's good to look for people who don't usually like perfumes from that genre. I.E. when someone says "I don't like woody blends, they're just not my thing, but this one is really something special, I actually like it and it likes me." then there's the notion there that it is something special something out of the ordinary. People can class perfumes until they're blue in the face, but knowing which individual notes spell doom for you is also very important. With regards the retours, all I can say is reviews reviews reviews. Also, keep in mind musks. They are in all of the genres, and can be used across many types of scents, so if a particular musk gives you instant migraines or is amazingly well-behaved with your skin chemestry, be scanning scent descriptions for the types of musks used, because that will play a large part in how well or not a blend works for you. Hope that helps.
airmide
mortal
mortal

Post by airmide »

I think often foodie is meant that it smells very edible, like food. For instance vanilla is probably one of the most common notes in perfume, but it can be put with so many other notes and you wouldn't always or even very frequently think of those perfumes as something you'd eat. I agree with TrueEarthMama that gourmand often seems to be used to describe perfumes which are seen as "perfumey" but with some foodie notes.

If you tell us what sorts of things you like I'm pretty sure there will be no shortage of people willing to jump in and recommend their favorites.

Now I'm still curious about a lot of perfume things too. Like musks...I don't feel like I understand those at all, or how the different ones smell. I know Blue Pepys and Sugar Puss both do this crazy thing where they smell sort of like tinned black olives on me, and I'm guessing that may be a similar ingredient, maybe musk?
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

I just discovered that, for me, testing lots of fragrances at the same time is a good way to learn about the terms! Up until today I would try out one sample a day, and I wasn't really sure of what I liked. This morning, I tried an experiment--I took 5 different samples, put them on different sections down my arms, and smelled them at loosely timed intervals. Suddenly things became really clear! I detected sharpness, powdery-ness, musk (thanks to Fabienne's explanation that musk is a common laundry detergent scent, as soon as I smelled it, my mind quickly said "white musk"!), citrus, resinous. I could tell which scents were sweet, and which had unusual notes that conjured up images like old books or garden dirt, as opposed to blends that resembled conventional fine fragrances. It was SO much easier to tell which ones I preferred. I did the experiment a few hours later with a different 5, and it clarified even more distinctions. The mind is good at filling in all the descriptors. It felt like that scene in Mask where the kid is "showing" the blind girl clouds and colors. :P