Sandalwood

All the notes you love to talk about, contained in one forum area.

Moderator: Maya

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Sandalwood

Post by woodenmango » Fri May 22, 2015 12:37 pm

Sandalwood has always been a favorite smell of mine. Fabienne seems to have a beautiful range of them.

My favorite possets with sandalwood (so far) are.

Issota And Sigismundo (permanent): I was brought to this one because of the banana note and sold on the sandalwood. It sounds like such a strange combo but on me the banana dies down fairly quickly to a subtle sweetness and gives way to a very wonderful spicy/wood sandalwood. Very comforting.

Orpheus in the underworld (Haunting Music, Halloween 2014): This was one of the first three possets I ever bought. More of a masculine smell to me but sooo nice. The sandalwood in this reads more of a deep and rich wood and blends very nicely with the mint. It has a fair bit of sillage.

Dracula rising (Haunting Music, Halloween 2014): Also one of the first possets I ever bought. This is a very earthy smell that is also woody and vaguely sweet. The sandalwood in this seems a little more like Issota and Sigismundo with a sort of spicy quality to it but deeper and woodier still, if that makes sense.

I just recently received silver sandalwood so I like forward to review that soon :D

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Re: Sandalwood

Post by Minh Scent » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:39 am

Sandalwood has to be my #1 favorite note. I often just wear it plain. I am planning to eventually get through all of Fabienne's sandal scents, but I will start with my first favorite: The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba (Mysore sandalwood, suede, frankincense, patchouli, 4 vanillas). I was very surprised when many called this a foody scent, as I get no foody at all; in fact I barely notice the four vanillas. On my skin/to my nose, the center stage is the sandal, all else a nice supporting cast. Later I can pick out the suede, but the sandal is so gorgeous and prominent, it has my full attention. Very well blended, but (to me) a sandal scent.
Last edited by Minh Scent on Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jackieo
archangel
archangel

Post by jackieo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:58 pm

I also really enjoy sandalwood. Some of my favorites have already been mentioned.

The Arc of Venus - Sandalwood & Lavender. Perfection. I would have never thought of that combination before, but it is so lovely.

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:37 am

Silver Sandalwood: Have been wearing this on and off since I got it three weeks ago. It is a beautiful, easy to wear perfume which to me showcases the silver more than the sandal. Although the sandal is there, it is not woody or strong. I pick up more of a musky, vanilla with a sandal whisper. Although it does not fullfill my sandal craving, it is one of my favorites in spite of the softness.

Bea33
a spark
a spark

Post by Bea33 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:10 am

I adore sandalwood, definitely one of my favorite notes. The three Possets I'm captivated with at the moment, and trying to decide between, are:

Nefertiti & Anhenaten--I love the lemony amber combined with the sandalwood. It makes for a warm and woody but still light scent. Absolutely beautiful, and I could see wearing this one a lot.

Arrival of the Queen of Sheba--starts off a little cakey, but dries down into a warm sandalwood that's maybe a little softer than the dry down of Nefertiti. Again, lovely.

Silver Sandalwood--As was mentioned above, a very easy perfume to wear. Just what it says, the Silver base with a soft sandalwood note. Sometimes the Silver base is too "vanilla musk" for me as my skin amps it, but the sandalwood note grounds it nicely and here it plays well with my skin.

Sigh. I want to decide, for budgetary reasons, on one of the above for my new sandalwood scent, but each is so gorgeous in its own way that I'm having trouble making a decision!

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:47 am

Bea33,

You have your possible choice so nicely organized. The good news is, whatever sandal scent you choose, it will be a winner. All three of those are SO different. From your descriptions, it seems you are leaning towards N& A.

Now, not to put a wrench in your plans, but have you tried Field of Reeds? This might be my favorite Poisset sandal at the moment, it is creamy and plays with the amber and labdanum so smoothly. Gorgeous and distracting me from the 30 day challenge! If you have not tried it, perhaps you could ask Fabienne if she would kindly consider it as a froppet.

ETA Not that I would trade Arrival of Queen if Sheba for this!!! Radically different perfumes.

Bea33
a spark
a spark

Post by Bea33 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:02 pm

Ooh, thank you, Minh Scent. I will definitely check out Field of Reeds! I always enjoy a dilemma as delicious as this one, deciding between many beautiful perfumes. :grin:

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:03 pm

Time to add Wallis Warfield Simpson. Starts with a wisp of a grapefruit introduction and then it is a straight-up gorgeous sandalwood. Sandalwood lovers, rejoice!

Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:27 am

I just came here to add ANGST to the discussion. beautiful and sophisticated and wonderfully easy to do anything while in the presence of this wonderful scent. http://possets.com/talking/viewtopic.ph ... 356#p34253 :frolic:

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo » Sun May 29, 2016 12:07 am

I used to love sandalwood when I was younger, when most of my perfume came from head shops on Haight Street, but somewhere along the way it went south, and I find it really cloying now. (Although I love smelling the sandalwood mala I have on my desk at work.) If I try any perfume has it as a component, it slowly takes over the scent until it is all I can smell. Then it sticks around through several washings. This just happened to me with Min-Min and Summer (Mucha). But if you're a sandal lover, these are great scents. I did not even realize Summer has sandalwood in it until I washed it off because the carnation takes center stage with that one, and it's a very bold scent overall.