Carnation

All the notes you love to talk about, contained in one forum area.

Moderator: Maya

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Carnation

Post by woodenmango » Fri May 22, 2015 12:57 pm

I used to be afraid of all things with a floral note but since joining the legions of possetiers I am a carnation convert!

The two carnation blends I have tried so far are Autumn (Haunting music, halloween 2014) which is very spicy carnation with a woody sandalwood backnote. And pre-raphaelite seductress (permanent) which is also a spicey carnation but with an underlying creaminess too it.
Last edited by woodenmango on Fri May 22, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Re: Carnation

Post by sillageslut » Fri May 22, 2015 1:10 pm

I too am a floral convert. The first one I purchased was Silver Carnations. Not your Grandma's floral, give it a try.

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Fri May 22, 2015 3:07 pm

Silver Carnation has been a big hit for me and some very picky friends. It has such a lush slightly green-tinged carnation smell, and the way it dies down on the skin goes to what I imagine my skin would smell like if I rubbed petals all over me.

A few of the carnation ones here amp the clove side of carnation, but for the most part I really have enjoyed my carnation experience here. I think Silver Carnations has been one of the most realistic carnation fragrances I've ever run across in perfume.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

Maladextrose
primordial
primordial

Post by Maladextrose » Fri May 22, 2015 3:37 pm

Speaking of carnations and clove... which ones don't use clove or don't have significant amounts? Clove tends to trigger my migraines, and I can never be certain if "spicy" is in reference to the natural carnation or additional spice notes. That's why I still haven't tried Pre-Raphaelite Seductress.

Any help would be appreciated!

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Sat May 23, 2015 3:35 am

Maladextrose wrote:Speaking of carnations and clove... which ones don't use clove or don't have significant amounts? Clove tends to trigger my migraines, and I can never be certain if "spicy" is in reference to the natural carnation or additional spice notes. That's why I still haven't tried Pre-Raphaelite Seductress.

Any help would be appreciated!
Clove hates me, so I feel your pain where carnation is concerned, as clove is a popular companion to it in way too many blends, and as Maya mentioned, carnation itself can have a clovey edge all its own. The only carnation/clove I've ever liked is 14 Carnations, which managed a miracle by being light enough on the clove that it actually worked on me. If you haven't tried Silver Carnations, try a poppett. Carnation tends to be spicy on its own, but the silver base definitely softens it.

My favourite carnation blend is the long gone but simple and moreish Inez, which is carnation and leather. Gorgeous combo.

Maladextrose
primordial
primordial

Post by Maladextrose » Sat May 23, 2015 3:40 am

Thanks so much Funkmoppet! I've tried carnations fragrances elsewhere and enjoyed them even with the natural clove-y edge. It's just when actual clove is added that I have trouble.

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Sat May 23, 2015 3:42 am

Maladextrose wrote:Thanks so much Funkmoppet! I've tried carnations fragrances elsewhere and enjoyed them even with the natural clove-y edge. It's just when actual clove is added that I have trouble.
Same. It's like adding sugar to sugar, in my opinion. ;)

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:41 am

Ah, I'm going to have to change my stance on 14 Carnations. Just put it on now after it's had a number of months to age, and I don't like it anymore. It's still light on the clove, and that aspect of it still grand, but it's now doing a powdery sweet candy thing on me and anything "candy" is on my "scrub it off" list.