Coffee

All the notes you love to talk about, contained in one forum area.

Moderator: Maya

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Coffee

Post by woodenmango » Fri May 22, 2015 10:40 pm

Coffee is not a note I had ever really thought of as being a true perfume scent. I always thought it was more for candles or foodie bath products but then I became a possetier.

I haven really only tried one coffee Posset so far and that is Arabian Dance from the Nutcracker (Permanents). Oh it is so good! It really is like being in a fancy coffee shop that has a wooden fire place.

I have considered trying hophead but the amber makes me cautious, it can either be nicely sweet on me or very powdery. Any other recommendations for coffee scents?

Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Coffee

Post by Annemathematics » Fri May 22, 2015 10:58 pm

...waiting for Minh to come and join this convo...she adores the possets coffee!

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Fri May 22, 2015 11:25 pm

Possets makes the ultimate coffee note and I can't imagine it getting better than this. Anne has heard me raving about it in "that" thread on the dear BPAL forum, I guess! :hug:

Hopheads is stunning-pure, glorious coffee that puts you right into an Italian bistro. When people were praising the amber in this scent and asking Fabienne to create a perfume with Hopheads amber, I said. "huh?" Yes, there is amber, but it is like when you are with your beloved in a crowded room- there are others around, but you only have eyes for him. It is very pure coffee and amber is the polite, barely perceptibale background vocalist adding the "yah yah" to Janis Joplin belting out "Piece of My Heart". That is exactly what Hopheads has of mine. AND if you really want to go over the deep end of sensual bliss, layer it on top of BPAL's Antikythera Mechanism. Holy moly, tie me down! Coffee and tobacco paradise.

Woodenmango, request a poppet next time you order.

Meanwhile, I am twiddling my thumbs to hear about the coffee in Seductive Jesuit!

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:51 am

My world stops for Pauline. Best foody coffee I've ever had the pleasure to put on my skin and she's aged spectacularly. Weep that she had to go away, but that's the fate all the OARs had. Hophead is also magnificent, but very different with the luscious heavy ambers.

I lament not loving Arabian Dance thanks to the clove, so I'm hoping for a non-clove non-foody coffee in the near future. I'm also circling around Seductive Jesuit like a jackal, as it may fit the bill.

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Sun May 24, 2015 12:08 am

One of my favorites is Phyllotaxis because it's so complex. When I first got it, and at first whiff, I thought omg this is terrible. But then I put it on my skin, and mmmmm so good. The coffee note in it just plays so beautifully with the other notes, and the way it dances around the lavender keeps my nose intrigued for hours.

Ribbands is a suuuuuper creamy coffee blend that my skin eats up pretty quickly, but while it's on I just want to lick my arm.

For a soft coffee that just feels like home (warm, comforting, welcoming), I can only look at Pauline.

I also never really thought of coffee as a perfume note, but wow do I so love it as such. One reason I love Possets is because it encourages me to explore more around me--whether by putting it on my skin or by making my brain think about everyday things as potential perfume.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Sun May 24, 2015 12:15 am

Quantum Interconnect is a really nice dark coffee.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Sun May 24, 2015 11:09 am

I love Pauline's coffee and find it very comforting, but my skin eats it immediately. I'm having much better luck with Seductive Jesuit, which is delicious and cuddly.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Thu May 28, 2015 4:09 pm

I adore the coffee in Pauline, though it is so creamy that my husband thinks it is a vanilla scent when I wear it. Ribbands never had enough coffee in it for me, I used to layer it with Pauline.

I liked Phyllotaxis's coffee but some of the other notes ruined it for me. Same with Hophead, whose amber went really powdery on me. Baby powder and coffee is a really odd combination.

I am excited to try the Seductive Jesuit.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:25 pm

Have tested Phyllotaxis. A lovely coffee, but does not last as long as Hopheads on my skin.

The Seductive Jesuit is another story and for me, a masterpiece, in my top three favourite scents of all time. The coffee is strong and gorgeous, but it has a fuzzy quality to it, not the purity of Hopheads, although the same fine Italian bistro dark roasted Arabic blend. With this added fuzziness, I can imagine the feel of the rough brown Jesuit robes against my skin as I am swept up into his arms (hey, I was raised Catholic, went to all girls Catholic school and have four aunts in the convent, so these are common fantasies!) It is here the story changes, the coffee receeding as now the lavender slips in and takes me down another pathway of fantasy.

To summarize- from my experience, try the Hopheads for your caffeine fix. And get the Jesuit for another kind of fix altogether.