Vetiver

All the notes you love to talk about, contained in one forum area.

Moderator: Maya

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Vetiver

Post by funkmoppet2 » Sat May 23, 2015 3:25 am

Oh vetiver, you divide people, but I love you so very dearly! Who else loves vetiver? C'mon, it's rich, earthy, smoky, commanding and just plain fascinating! Fabienne works magic with it and knows how to include it with a light hand so it doesn't overwhelm, but can still have it positively SHINE as it does in my favourite Possets vetiver blend, the wonderful Betsy. On me Betsy's the most vetiver-heavy blend in the permanents, but I also have a lot of love for Gypsy Grave, Terra Nocturna and Theodora (which is probably second to Betsy in the "strongest vetiver" category). Those are the ones I can truly detect the vetiver in.

Anyway - vetiver lovers, what blends are your favourites?

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Re: Vetiver

Post by Minh Scent » Sat May 23, 2015 5:44 am

I am a big vetiver fan, but I like it super earthy and strong and I haven't found that in Posset blends. As you said, Funkmoppet, Fabienne uses it with a light hand. I love Betsy (and, Theodoea) but as a total perfume and not necessarily the vetivier note.

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango » Sat May 23, 2015 8:11 am

I will chime in as a former vetivert hater. Fabienne does vetivert so well! I will echo funmoppet and say that betsy and gypsy grave are very nice vetivert blends that I like. Of the two gypsy grave is my favorite as the vetivert is more subtle but I still find betsy intriguing because of that sort of bitter vetivert edge combined with the non-foody brown sugar quality. So I geuss my contribution is more for the vetivert cautious, if you want to give it a try (or another try) pick up one of those two!

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Thu May 28, 2015 4:29 pm

I like vetiver in certain blends. Love Gypsy Grave and the way it works with the clove in that scent, or the way it works in Hatshepsut as the grassy/dry /bitter topnote. I really enjoyed Fabienne's pairing of vetiver and violet in Terra Nocturna too.

I remember liking the vetiver in one of the Avalon perfumes - Elaine, I think it was. Some people thought that the vetiver smelled like pickles to them :)

Vetiver can smell sort of oily (petroleum oil), but I like it when it smells like dry grasses. Fabienne has a really lovely touch with vetiver - she uses it to make things smell dry and velvety... almost like a dry dark chocolate, but not foody.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings