Galbanum

All the notes you love to talk about, contained in one forum area.

Moderator: Maya

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Galbanum

Post by woodenmango » Sat May 23, 2015 8:16 am

This is more of a curiosity sort of post. I have blends that feature Galbanum (Sorrow, Dies irae, Brut Champagne) but cannot for the life of me pick it out as a component. What does Galbanum smell like?

fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Galbanum

Post by fabienne » Sat May 23, 2015 12:09 pm

There isn't much which smells like galbanum, it's one of those things you have to experience to understand. In ways it smells like wood or like rubbing alcohol, but that is about as helpful as calling a Bentley a thing with wheels.
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!

Floria
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Floria » Wed May 27, 2015 7:38 pm

Galbanum has kind of a green but sharp smell to my nose. I've seen it compared to green pepper. I find it a bit much on its own, but it can be good in resinous blends to cut the rich sweetness of things like myrrh and labdanum.

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:51 pm

It's one of my favourite notes. For me it's a fist of sharp greenery that I find totally euphoric. I'll regularly just huff from my bottle of EO to put myself in a good mood.

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Thu May 28, 2015 12:11 am

I love galbanum. I have a single note oil of it, but it's hardcore! Lol, one needs a judicious hand using this I think.
If you're a fan, I'd recommend Platinum from this collection (Cocktail Party!). If there is no galbanum in it (it's not listed) please just ban me from reviewing already because that would be a total fail.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds