Orange

All the notes you love to talk about, contained in one forum area.

Moderator: Maya

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Orange

Post by Minh Scent » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:03 pm

Sicily was one of the few Possets too strong for me, the orange packing a wollup. Looking at the notes, it might have been so strong because it was backed by pepper, lemon and cinnamon.

Pacabel's Canon (Winter 2014), on the other hand, has a glorious orange. It is also strong, but tempered with the vanilla and sandalwood. I read a few reviews that said the sandalwood took over. Not my experience at all. To me this is an orange perfume, beautifully supported by the other two notes. Keep your eyes open for this one during retours, because it is perfect for orange lovers. ETA- Sandalwood flies solo at the very end of this, but it is primarily an orange scent.

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Re: Orange

Post by funkmoppet2 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:54 am

Orange is one of those notes I love the idea of but it's a case-by-case basis on whether I'm going to like it in a blend. I also seem to grow sick of orange blends quicker than others. Example: orange and patchouli is a fantastic combo, but I've never made it through a whole lotion scented with it. Orange can often go powdery on me, too, getting either a candyish vibe or smelling alarmingly like Tang, or "orange drink".

That said, some orange blends have been winners. I have a lot of love for Cadmium Orange, a scrumptious soft, warm woody orange that's aged very nicely. I also love Sicily, which stays juicy and bright and pairs so well with the pepper on me. Gelato Blood Orange is the only super-foody orange I'll ever need, but it's a good one. Best orange/vanilla I've ever tried, easily, and manages to have hidden depth to it.

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:34 am

Funkmoppet, is the orange in Gelato Blood Orange the same as the one in Sicily? I believe they are from the same collection, so figured they might be.

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:50 am

Minh Scent wrote:Funkmoppet, is the orange in Gelato Blood Orange the same as the one in Sicily? I believe they are from the same collection, so figured they might be.
I don't think they are, Minh. Sicily's orange has that fresh citrus valencia zing to it, whereas the Gelato has a sweeter blood orange note. They're very different blends, very different sides of orange. If you loved Pecabel's Canon I think you'd really enjoy Gelato Blood Orange.

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:24 am

Thank you, Funkmoppet. Yes, the orange in Pacabel's Cannon was bright and beautiful, but the one in Sicily was too harsh for me.

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:06 am

I love Venus of Willendorf (100% natural). It's clementine as oppose to traditional orange but oh my it is good. Very fresh and bright but also a little bitter with sparkley boozey note. Smells like mimosa's to me but it is definitely not what I would call a sweet blend.