Musk

All the notes you love to talk about, contained in one forum area.

Moderator: Maya

Melian17
primordial
primordial

Musk

Post by Melian17 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:06 am

Enjoying the drydown of The Damned Flower got me thinking about musks. Fabienne describes this one as having "earthy musks". I'd love to know if any other Possets have this same note.

Which musks are your favorite? Favorite musky Possets? I love most musks, but a few can be too sharp and screechy. I particularly like a good salty musk, the type that some people describe as "sweaty".

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Re: Musk

Post by Minh Scent » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:47 am

Melian, glad you brought up musks, because they are one of the more complicated scents to me and I am still trying to get my head/nose around the difference between white, red, black musks.

Cambienne Black Festus is described as having two black musks and a vaporous musk. Indeed, the musks in that are beautiful, but I could not distinguish between "black" and "vaporous ".

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:16 am

I'm pretty sure Fabienne did a podcast or something explaining musks quite a while back. Because it was quite a while back, I'm not having much success finding a link.
Sorry :(
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Melian17
primordial
primordial

Post by Melian17 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:57 am

Oh, I found it on her blog https://possets.wordpress.com/2012/07/05/musks/! That does help explain the differences, but I agree Minh Scent, it's hard for me to smell the difference sometimes. Musks are kind of elusive to me-- I know it when I smell it, but I can't really explain how they smell.

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:56 pm

Boudicca, thanks for remembering that and Melian, thanks for digging it up!

One of my most favorite Possets (this means nothing, I realize, as I have so many "most favorite") is Dies Irae. The black musks in there are beautiful (3, according to description) and play so beautifully with the galbanum, frank, and oud. There is also a" fog" musk in there as well, but I need to refine my nose farther to discern it.

Yesterday, I enjoyed the white musk of Diamond once I was not swooning over the grapefruit. Although, it almost smelled green to me. Sigh.

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:12 pm

I am really fond of fabienne's black musks to me they have a sort of...spicey quality? And red musk always seems sweet to me, sometimes with my skin chemistry it takes on a vaguely coconut kind of vibe, I am less fond of it but its not bad.

I find that alot opf Possets with white or crystal musk have been really good on me, parcticularly Romping Sky Clad and Diamond. I find these kinds of muskls tend to be very "bright" and white musk in particular is vaguely floral to me.
Last edited by woodenmango on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Melian17
primordial
primordial

Post by Melian17 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:27 am

Thanks for the recommendations and the descriptions of how you perceive the different musks! I'm afraid I missed out on Diamond:( I was taking a breather from perfumes when the spring collection came out. I'll put it on my Retour list!

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:26 pm

I have discovered a new favorite musky posset and that is Arizona: Sage and Honeycomb. So good! I sometimes have problems with honey but this one is non-stinky on me. I would describe the musk in this as 'warm' like a summer night.