Patchouli

All the notes you love to talk about, contained in one forum area.

Moderator: Maya

Melian17
primordial
primordial

Patchouli

Post by Melian17 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:47 pm

Patchouli is a note that I find really interesting. There seems to be several varieties so it's a note that's really hit or miss with me. I absolutely love it when it's deep, rich, and almost chocolatey. There's another type that smells to me exactly like freshly turned earth. I appreciate smelling it but it's not always something I want to wear as a perfume. And then of course there's the musty, headshoppy patchouli. The other one that comes to mind is "aged patchouli." This one usually smells rough and harsh to me, which is the opposite of what I would expect. I would think aging would make it more rich and mellow, but I haven't found that to be the case.

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Re: Patchouli

Post by funkmoppet2 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm

I love all patch with the exception of aged, simply because it tends to fight with my skin chemistry (Samarkand was a rare exception). But give me all the rest! Give me the stinky hippy headshop stuff too - when NOT worn as a substitute for deodorant (ugh), I find its earthiness really soothing. Is Black Patchouli is the headshop variety? I know that any Bpal with black patch in it smells like it. I have a big bottle of dark patchouli EO (the musky *unf* variety) that I plan on making a batch of cold process soap with for the coming summer. Last batch is almost gone and I need patchouli in some form or other in my house.

There are a lot of patch blends but some faves of mine off the top of my head are Howl, Betsey, and Paisley.

Melian17
primordial
primordial

Post by Melian17 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:26 am

I've tried Howl and that to me is the headshop variety:) I'm not that familiar with BPAL's patch so I'm not sure. I hopefully have a sample of Betsy coming in my order but somehow I missed Paisley in my searches?!
Last edited by Melian17 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:22 am

Melian17 wrote:I've tried Howl and that to me is the headshop variety:) I'm not that familiar with BPAL's patch so I'm not sure. I hopefully have a sample of Betsy coming in my order but someone I missed Paisley in my searches?!
Paisley's in the Naturals. http://possets.com/100-natural-possets/ ... ural-blend

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:40 am

Ah, patchouli-rarely have day without it! Funkmoppet, cool you make your own soap! I like any kind of patch, but lean towards the heavier ones. Permanent Possets whose patch I notice and love- Morgan le Fey, Mistress of Power and Howl. I have just tested Paisly (natural) and found it a woodier, smooth patch.

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:06 am

I looove patchouli. My favorite blends with patch are:

Dracula Rising (Halloween 2014): I think people have seen my rave about this one alot, so earthy, really like the sharpness of wet earth. It may be the other notes in it that do that but oh man, so good.

Romping Skyclad: I think the Fir and crystal musk make this very bright but the patch really grounds it and just compliments the other notes so well.

Bacchante: I looove fruity-patch mixes and this one is a nice fresh grape with a musty patchouli. quite dirty but also delicious.

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:57 am

More patchouli suggestions, please?! The new guy -- the one who treats me like I am a priority -- is a patch fan.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

suzie
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by suzie » Sun May 01, 2016 12:47 pm

I just stumbled on Pat Pat Pat in the 100% Naturals catalog and came here looking for reviews. Unfortunately, it seems to be missing. Any patchouli lovers care to weight in on this one?

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Mon May 02, 2016 1:04 am

suzie wrote:I just stumbled on Pat Pat Pat in the 100% Naturals catalog and came here looking for reviews. Unfortunately, it seems to be missing. Any patchouli lovers care to weight in on this one?
http://www.possets.com/talking/viewtopi ... =14&t=1309
Found it! Not sure why it isn't there with the other 100% Naturals reviews. I can't move it there though. But now I'm wanting this one too....
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

suzie
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by suzie » Mon May 02, 2016 11:07 am

Thank you! I love patchouli but am a little leery of the cassia. I asked for a sample with my latest order so here's hoping it's the perfect patch :frolic: