incense

All the notes you love to talk about, contained in one forum area.

Moderator: Maya

Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

incense

Post by Annemathematics » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:33 pm

I'm actually new enough to possets that I have more questions on this topic than I do experience.

What makes an incense Chinese vs Indian vs plain incense?

What are your favorite scents with incense?

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Re: incense

Post by Minh Scent » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:12 pm

This is a great question and I am always trying to figure it out myself and will love to hear what people say. I am usually burning Indian and Chinese incense; they are radically different and I am not sure how this translates to perfume. Indian is mostly sandal and can be scented with florals, particularly jasmine and rose and includes nag champa which is heavy on ilang ilang. Chinese incense also has sandal and other woods but is much more herbally. I have never smelled Chinese incense in a perfume. Western "church" incense is all frank and myrrh.

My most beloved incense perfume (and top 10 all time favorite across five indies) is Midnight Mass at Old Saint Catherine's because it also has a wax note to the church incense. I have just dabbed some on to write this and if you love incense, this is outstanding. Please note aging makes it incredible.

ETA Go check out incense.pro which gives a list of different kinds (boggling the imagination!) So much to smell!!!

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Minh Scent wrote:My most beloved incense perfume (and top 10 all time favorite across five indies) is Midnight Mass at Old Saint Catherine's because it also has a wax note to the church incense.

For my own record's sake, I know we have a Midnight Mass at Old St. Marys, but did not know there was a Saint Catherine's. Are they the same? If not, do you know what year the Catherine's came out so I can check to make sure we have a review thread for it?
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:06 pm

Minh may have accidentally mis-named it. But I totally concur with her - Midnight Mass is awesome (even though MMAOSM and I had shaky beginnings).

I love burning pure incense, but in perfume Incense and I don't always get along and it very much depends on the type. When it's too floral and heavy on the ylang/rose/jasmine, I find it cloying and sadly every Indian inspired Posset hasn't worked for me. The non floral incense notes though, I am all over, especially when it comes with a little smoke. Give me the resins, woods and herbs, basically - exactly what I look for when I want something to pop on the coals.

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:46 pm

Now I'm wanting an actual bottle of Midnight Mass at St. Somewhere. I only have a poppet so it gets overlooked.

Some incenses I like:

Fibonacci Curve (Japanese incense). Violet incense. I think it would be "safe" for those who get overwhelmed by heavier incense.

The Whirlwind of Lust. Once I get to the dry down, I'm just in love with the incense in this one.

Black River and Joan of Arc are great for those who like their incense a little bit hardcore.

There's many more, but those are some examples off the top of my head about different kinds of incense even though my categories might only make sense to me.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:09 am

I suspect my personal categories for incense are my own as well. I don't see the floral incenses as heavy, heavy for me is the more acrid, dark varieties (of which I am a fan). Floral incenses are cloying to me like white florals are cloying - sweet and just... no. I LOVE Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa, but the florals in that goodly stuff are tamed.

Yep, Black River is so coming home with me. I like everything I've read about it. Joan of Arc was shortlisted.

Morgan Le Fey has aged nicely and is a spiced incense I really enjoy (wearing it now in fact).

Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:11 am

Antenora has caught my eye. I love a nice bit of cypress.

(Described as containing Chinese incense)

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:13 am

Annemathematics wrote:Antenora has caught my eye. I love a nice bit of cypress.

(Described as containing Chinese incense)
Aaaaand now you've brought my attention to it I'm eyeing it off too. :gaah:

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:25 am

Oh, I didn't mean I find floral incenses heavy. I was saying the opposite basically. Or trying. It's getting late and I'm punchy.
I consider the flowery ones to be like training wheels for those who can't yet handle the "badass" acrid incense which seems to be the stuff you & I both go for, funkmoppet! Black River covers acrid/dark. Lol, Fibonacci Curve = Incense for Beginners. But I do find it very lovely and more um... likely to be appreciated by the general population. Whirlwind of Lust would be between the two, IMO, for reference for those who we are confusing by trying to categorize. Morgan Le Fey is another great one. I think that was my third FB. :2cents:
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:19 am

Oh no, I do get the odd crossover in descriptive words for incense. I am terrible with describing things at the best of times, and the word "cloying" which I attribute to florals I hate, can also mean heavy in a rich sense, like super stanky jasmines and poppy. I think I just like applying the word "heavy" to the darker, traditionally "masculine", acrid stuff, because checking a thesauraus or expanding my perfume vocabulary sounds like work and pfffft. :s: But yes, you and I are of one mind when it comes to dark acrid stuff and where the "masculine" bar lies. ;)

I'm also waffling on Spell 125 which also sounds like it's up my alley. There's a blurring of the lines with me regarding incense and smoke notes.