incense

All the notes you love to talk about, contained in one forum area.

Moderator: Maya

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Re: incense

Post by Minh Scent » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:17 pm

Oh, sorry! Yes, I meant St Mary's! :s: Well, I am being punished for my error, as you all just alerted me to three scents that somehow got past me!!! Antenora, Black River and Joan of Arc.

Is the incense in Black River and Joan of Arc stronger than in Midnight Mass?

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:33 pm

Minh Scent wrote:Oh, sorry! Yes, I meant St Mary's! :s: Well, I am being punished for my error, as you all just alerted me to three scents that somehow got past me!!! Antenora, Black River and Joan of Arc.

Is the incense in Black River and Joan of Arc stronger than in Midnight Mass?
No worries. I keep so many lists that have different and similar perfumes that I am often afraid that I am missing something, and there are plenty of these that have similar beginnings such as the Lovechilds, Angels, and the Farts (I admit that I giggled when I typed that). Even though I comb the lists and *think* I have everything, I feel like there is that one that I just don't have down yet so when I see a name pop up that is close but not quite one that I know of I have to ask.

Joan of Arc on me was DARK as in "Hmmm I love incense but I don't think I can do this one." Black River was also dark, but more wearable for me. Both of those were MUCH darker/stronger than Midnight Mass. I do love a good incense, but I have weird skin that turns some things straight into a Dryer Sheet Aisle in a Mexican Tienda. Which means: it has a faint smell of masa, powder, dryer sheets (mix of too strong florals, chemicals, and that something you just can't define) and that undefinable meaty smell that a good tienda should have. Which is GREAT if you are a tienda, but terrible if you are a person. I love incense so much, but I have to be careful with some of them and that just breaks my heart. I do love the ones that go smoky and dark, but Joan of Arc just was too much on me for some reason. I still have the bottle and want to try it again since it's aged to see if it will play better with my skin, whereas Midnight Mass is an immediate straight out of the bottle wearable for me.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:24 pm

I will also echo the love of Midnight Mass at Old St. Mary's. It didn"t get tons of love but I am pretty fond of Silver Incense, it does have a wood-smoke kind of quality too it I like that about it alot. Also, not exactly incense but Arabian Dance of the Nutcracker has the most beautiful smoke and coffee combo. Perfect for the fall and winter.

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:14 am

Thank you, Maya! Of course now I want to march right into a Mexican tienda to inhale and know exactly what masa and dryer sheets smell like!! Alright, it sounds like Joan of Arc and Black River are in the same scent wheel.

Sorry incense does funny things on you, but frankly Midnight Mass is a stunner, so glad it works!

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:52 pm

I also second the recommendation for Silver Incense. Love. So. Much! I would roll around in that one if I could.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

stellamaris
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by stellamaris » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:35 am

Totally charging in here to say the best incense ever, 3 5 8

Amazing. Underated like wow and why? :cuss:

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:39 am

I'm curious as to what makes up the "incense" note. I feel like my nose isn't sensitive enough to pick up on nuances, so there are a handful of notes that all kind of smell the same to me: frankincense, myrrh, sandalwood, dragon's blood, and any note described as incense all smell like "head shop incense" which, to me, is Nag Champa. It's thick, resinous, pungent, and smoky. (Patchouli gets a pass because it is my favorite scent and as long as it's not blended with one of the above, takes on its own character). So all those perfumes end up in exactly the same category in my mind, and they're not my favorites.

Ironically, I love actual incense and usually have many kinds on hand. Thick sticks of Tibetan incense smell the closest to the "incense" note I'm describing. Japanese incense has a more delicate, refined quality. Indian incense, as well as the kind of incense you get at head shops and street fairs, is the most pungent of all and smell smoky due to the bamboo stick that is used as a base. (Tibetan and Japanese types usually do not have this stick.) One of my favorite incenses is Nippon Kodo Yume-No-Yume (the one with the goldfish on it). It is a truly classic aquatic scent! It even has little salt crystals on the sticks, which enhances the salty-air component.

firebirdseeking
a spark
a spark

Post by firebirdseeking » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:52 pm

I also second Silver Incense - and my all time fave, The Girls Love India. I love that so much I feel like eating i!!