Review Requests and Random Stuff

The languor and buzz of summer. What a serene time, perfect for the flowers, green, aquatic, and perfumy.

Moderator: Maya

katiushka
archangel
archangel

Re: Review Requests and Random Stuff

Post by katiushka » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:23 pm

I second the review request for Mrs. Abington :D

Also, how does the Portrait of Jane Small compare to My Lover's Lips? Or, if anyone has tried it, to "Elixir of Aphrodite" from Alkemia?

sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:33 pm

A very good new mini series called Life in Squares on BBC2 started last night. It's about the Bloomsbury group, a group of writers, poets and painters, including Virginia Woolf, Lytton Strachey and John Maynard Keynes. A few of the painters and paintings from the Summer of Elegance are mentioned and shown.

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:44 pm

Thank you for sharing! I love learning more about the Bloomsbury group and have been intrigued with them for many years! Also thank you so much for answering my question about "Four Seasons: Summer."

Melian17
primordial
primordial

Post by Melian17 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:00 pm

Has anyone tried "Luncheon on the Grass" yet? The lemon curd, and melon sound intriguing but I don't know about the biscuits. I'm trying to narrow it down to stay within my budget but so many in this collection sound good!

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:32 am

We still do not have reviews for: Portrait of Mrs. Abington, Luncheon on the Grass, and Girl With a Watering Can. We also have minimal reviews for Portrait of Jane Small and Bikini Girls of Sicily.

If you have tried these, please post reviews if you have not already done so (please, please pretty please). Even if you aren't sure how to peg them, saying what they remind you of, or how they play out on your skin can be very helpful to others. :hug:
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:28 pm

*flails and runs around squealing

My package came in. It was the first time I had a large enough batch that the mailing pack had torn, but thankfully the plastic held and my lovelies were safe. Along with my retours, I grabbed a bunch from the summer collection (I normally place two orders, but had to place one this time so it was large but hopefully delicious) and will give my brief thoughts here until I can properly review them. All of these will be first impression comments from the bottle sniffs (which is really unfair because so many of Possets perfumes open up so differently on the skin, but I'm sniffing before my nose breaks). :grin:

Hortus: Floral and neroli (I am such a neroli addict--happy sigh) at first sniff. Something soft and almost fluffy creamy rounds it out, and under it all seems to be a base of green, but that could also be the neroli the way it can feel green sometimes. This IS summer in mass profusion of flowers, but not too screamy or loud, although there is something underneath that I can't put my finger on that may go into high pitched zone on the skin. Very pretty. When I close my eyes, I feel like I should be wearing a white hat with a white veil, and flirting like mad with a dashing gentleman from the estate over the hill. But this is no simpering flirtation. This is innocence wrapped up in full knowledge of what flirtation can bring.

Dutch Adonis: No matter how I tried to leave him out of my order, he just kept insisting on jumping in. I have mixed feelings about him--and that's even before opening the bottle. LOL He is a seductive dark-eyed swooner though. I'm hoping the bottle bears that out. At first sniff: ohhhhhh, ohhh my. NOT what I expected at all, but very very charming. Violet reigns in the bottle, but the dark edges also immediately jump out, dried out with wood notes. I definitely get a peppery/peppercorn aspect, but without the heat some pepper can bring. Seductive in a straightforward kind of way. Stunning. I really want to try this one on immediately, but am holding out until I sniff them all.

Birth of Venus: Ooooooh! Soft and pretty. Something is coming across slightly as green apple peel to me in there--the way it can be tart, but sweet, juicy, but dry all at the same time. I get a very soft soft floral (iirc jasmine was in this blend). Very intriguing. It also seems to have a cuddly soothing side, in a very soft and gauzy kind of way. Very VERY pretty. I think this is going to be a charmer.

The Swing: I have admitted before that I have a deep secret love for frilly frothy things. A deep part of me is utterly and unashamed to be fully girly. Even with that, I was unsure about this one. I added it then removed then added and removed, but finally checked out with it in the cart lol. In the bottle: Oh yeah, mmmmm! Candied raspberries mixed with cream and a touch of fuzzy peach rounding out the edges. Unashamed frivolous. I have a feeling I'm going to adore this one. (Really really trying not to put this one on my skin right now.)

Seascape: Crap. Crap. Love it. Yep. Love it. This is...I have no words. If this holds up like it smells, I am going to possibly add this to my top five of all time. Soft soft coconut, a faint brace of sea/salty aquatic, something citrusy maybe? It smells like...hmmm. I don't know what it smells like--something from here but I can't place it at the moment. All I know is that I like it. A LOT. I want to roll around in this. I want to pour it on my neck and walk up to strangers and tell them, "Sniiiiifffff meeeeeeeee!" Crap. I hate loving perfumes this much. They break my heart if they don't make permanent. Granted, I haven't put it on yet so it could veer wildly into something horrible, but I doubt it. It has the creamy loveliness of Cri De Couer, but goes a completely different direction with the marine aspect (and, yes, I'm pretty sure I get a bit of that cannabis here, but it's fresh and succulent and not dried out or smoky, and really amazing as it mixes with the other notes). I want to huff this all day.

Luncheon on the Grass: This one intrigued me (mostly because I love lemon curd). I wasn't sure how all of the notes would play out, so.... *opens bottle carefully Oooh I like that! It's bright and fresh. The lemon is rounded and softened but a touch tart like a good curd, but what I notice most is the melon--and I can't quite put my finger on that melon. It's more green like a good honeydew, but not as sweet, but there is a rounded melon sweetness that seems to be coming from this. If this doesn't go funky on my skin, I think this is going to be very refreshing and very wonderful. Mmmmm!

Water Lilies: Fresh and bright, dreamy and aquatic. Slightly green, but a wet and fresh green (nothing dry here). Perfect perfect summer fragrance (although I'm not sure how it will handle the humidity--I can see this being absolutely stunning in a more dry climate like in Colorado, but I am willing to test it in deep south humidity). This comes across as very refreshing. I am looking forward to trying it.

Summer: This was an absolute must have for me. So many wonderful notes. First sniff: *eyes rolling in the back of the head. Ohhhh oh this is so gooood. I normally don't swear, but this gets "Daaaayuuum." Fabienne just keeps outdoing herself. This is the sandalwood I adore, and it's mixed with the florals with a note that almost smells chocolately. The ginger is also very much there and merges so beautifully with the other notes. *Happy sigh Yep, this is what I was hoping it would be. Want this on my skin!

Portrait of Jane Small: I admit it, after trying Cuss and falling deeply and madly in love, I have had to try any peach fragrances Fabienne puts out (if I can). This was a no-brainer. Oh WOW! Yes, I agree with everyone else. In the bottle, this is like putting a freshly picked peach to the nose and getting the warm sun lifting that full juicy peach essence to the air. Under it lies the dry woody almondy peach pit. Mmmmm delicious and wonderful. I have been looking for something that smells this realistic. I hope it remains this amazing on the skin.

Windmill at Wijk: Mmmmmmmmmm. So gooood. Wood, spices, a touch of sweetness. I almost get a cotton vibe, but I'm thinking that's the silk accord. Dry and gorgeous. This is another that I can't wait to try!

Wow. Just wow. This collection is so fantastic. I can't wait to see how they play out on the skin!
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:36 pm

Seascape really is that good. Historically good. A perfume legend.

I'm excited to read about Dutch Adonis. He's tempting except black tea perfume didn't work on me, and so I was wary of this one. I'm excited to read your review. Congrats on your nice order!

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:48 pm

Wow, Maya, sounds like a good score!!! Don't forget to vote!!! I will need to order a vat of the Summer (Mucha) if it does not make permanent.

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:47 am

Maya wrote:
Ohhhh oh this is so gooood. I normally don't swear, but this gets "Daaaayuuum."
As someone who swears IRL like a belligerent wharfie, it's with genuine fond sincerity that I say: Maya? You're adorable.

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:53 am

Thank you for the great reviews, Maya! What you expressed about the collection was my feeling also, it just seems outstanding, no matter which one I tried! It just seemed that there was no "bad note" one for me this time around, and most came through very closely to what was described about them on the website. The only one I had the little surprise with was "Morning Walk" which had this soft peach/apricot like note to my perception, but I can still smell the coumarin in it, and as that has developed, it is less fruity to my nose. It's a very pretty fragrance and will be interesting to see how it develops on others who try it.

I got my decant order from Whiskerswhispers a few days ago, and she kindly gifted me with "Portrait of Jane Small." I'm not a fruit perfume type person, but it was really lovely--I really liked it smelling it in the vial. I have not tried it on yet. I also have just tried my decant of "Seascape" and that one is very lovely as well. I can see why so many people like it. I am still looking forward to trying 4 Seasons Summer.

I've liked all of them that I've smelled, and felt that Landscape in Suffolk, Summer (Mucha), and Flying Horse really stood out in terms of more complex perfumery, or unusual notes blending seamlessly. With Dutch Adonis very close behind.

I went a bit wild over this collection (as in totally immoderate!) and then--the Retour hit!!