Birth of Venus (Botticelli)

The languor and buzz of summer. What a serene time, perfect for the flowers, green, aquatic, and perfumy.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Birth of Venus (Botticelli)

Post by Boudicca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:18 am

Possets description: A symbol of Possets ever since the beginning, Botticelli's Venus should have her own perfume inspired by her birth from the sea. This is the time of year for jasmine to bloom and the sort I love the most is putting out its small star like flowers which have been worth waiting the year to smell. The accord I use for this perfume is very very similar to my favorite jasmine. I have stirred up a special aquatic blend as a backdrop for all of this, I am not so keen on stock "aquatic" scent and so I have experimented with many ingredients to make something which I can fall in love with. Finally, I just must use a light citrus blend in here as I keep on thinking of the hot humid air of summer and need something to remind us all that there is relief against this heat. I would say this is a dry fragrance but it is loaded with charm and sass despite the floral addition. Very pretty.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Re: Birth of Venus (Botticelli)

Post by marisaviola » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:59 pm

This is a white flower fragrance with some sweetness but not overly sweet or candy-like. In the bottle, Birth of Venus smells very fresh yet heady, perhaps due to the blending of the jasmine accord with the aquatics, and I can detect the citrus giving it a bit of lift and also balancing the floral sweet note. On a tester strip, wet, I could smell the jasmine and the citrus clearly, without it being overly citrus or fruity. The jasmine is not indolic or decaying smelling and gives the impression of white flowers without being as strong as lilies, and without the creamy note of gardenia. The jasmine does not come across as sharp or as a single note of jasmine so much as blended in with the other notes. It is definitely floral but I didn't smell it and think "Oh, a jasmine perfume" the way I do with some fragrances.

When I first put it on, I got a burst of the floral and freshness and it reminded me a bit of what it felt like to wear the Coty Sweet Earth Night-Blooming Jasmine spray I used to have back in the 80's when I was in college. However, it soon warms and blends on my skin into an almost juicy, zesty blend--hard to describe, since it's not fruity in a fruit fragrance type of way, or predominantly citrus like an Eau de Cologne. I think it's the aquatics that give it its background depth and its freshness. After about two hours, suddenly it disappeared on my skin and I could barely detect it. I don't know if it's because I became anosmic to it, but I tried it twice and it happened twice. Then maybe 20 minutes or so later, I could smell it again as a less intense floral with a bit of citrus, and more of what I would call a dry phase, with that juicy note disappearing. On the tester strip, once it has dried for awhile, I smell more the jasmine and the citrus, and less aquatic than when wet.

This feels like an exuberant, joyful summer and spring fragrance, not so loud that you cannot wear it in public, but nor is it demure and restrained--fit for a goddess of love.

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Birth of Venus (Botticelli)

Post by Petticoats » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:36 pm

Because I usually don't click with citrus or aquatics I figured this was a long shot, but I’m really glad I took a chance on a decant. When it first arrived it was overwhelmingly jasmine, so I gave it some time to settle down, and now everything is in harmony. I can't really pick out the aquatic element, which is fine with me, as overall it’s feminine and euphoric, reminding me a bit of Patou’s Joy. So pretty and uplifting.

To me this is a great example of how subtle and complex Fabienne's blends became over the last couple of years. The only negative is that my skin seems to eat it in no time, so it may be one for the scent locket. I am definitely getting a bottle, because it makes me feel almost like a goddess--perhaps not Venus but Flora (I know my limitations :wink: ).
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.