Dutch Adonis (Hals)

The languor and buzz of summer. What a serene time, perfect for the flowers, green, aquatic, and perfumy.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Dutch Adonis (Hals)

Post by Boudicca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:19 am

Possets description: Such a swain, dressed to kill and just as sweet as he can be. This fellow who Hals painted just melts my heart as he looks as if he is endlessly declaring his undying love while showing off his prosperity.

This is an edgy blend which is composed of surprisingly masculine notes. Violet (one of the gentlemen's flowers) is put up with a thick black tea, a jolt of cardamom, a small amount of cumin (for animal magnetism) and (in homage to another Dutch mania) peppercorn. The combination is dynamite and universally appealing while being thoroughly unique. This is a very Possets scent but not an overly foody blend, and it is somehow a very cooling blend as well.

Masculine, unisex, floral, spicy foody.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Re: Dutch Adonis (Hals)

Post by Atropos » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:46 pm

I'd love to see a review of this one.

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:33 pm

Hi, Atropos, I just got my package today and have been very excited about this one. I can't do a review today as I am wearing a different one, but I will do brief "in the bottle, wet" and "tester strip" summaries, and will update to a proper review later. In the bottle, this is beautiful to my nose. I smell a dark violet note that is not like violet candies or powdery, and a black tea fragrance. Wet on the tester strip, a slight fruitiness and a tiny bit of spice emerge. The fruitiness does not remind me of any certain type of fruit, it's not foody and it's more of a rounded impression, like you have in wine with fruit notes. As the tester dries, I am starting to smell the cardamom. Ten minutes later, the strip is fully dry, and I begin to smell a hint of cumin and pepper emerging. The violet is blending well with the black tea and the spice notes. To my nose, this violet is a true violet note that is well balanced by the tea and spices so that it is not becoming a powdery violet, though it is clearly violet and a key player. If all the ingredients work on my skin equally well, I will be in heaven. Due to the successful blending of all these notes I could see it being unisex. Also, in the painter's time, and historically, violet was used in men's colognes and in barber shops, and to this day there are fragrances like Violet Shaving Cream and Lotion by Geo F. Trumper, an old English perfumery and apothecary.

Update: This fragrance is strong in the bottle and lasts. I had put the dried testing strip on my pillow for awhile, and all night I kept smelling a violet scent around me--it turned out that my pillowcase kept the scent of the dried testing strip. Dutch Adonis is truly a deeply purple violet and more complex than a soliflore--not cloyingly sweet, but strong, which is rare, as violet in my experience tends to fade away often and be a bit ephemeral. On my skin, I could smell the violet, the black tea and the cardamom and possibly some pepper, but it all blended into a slight spicy edge, but not too prominent. I didn't detect the cumin on me, which is a good for me personally, with my chemistry. On my skin, it was not overpowering or too strong, and it faded gradually to a softer violet fragrance. I wore it today going to the store in 93 degree F heat and high humidity, and it did not overwhelm. As the Possets description says, it is more of a cool fragrance, with the black tea and violet blend. This is unusual and captivating. I must always have some.

MageLocusta
primordial
primordial

Post by MageLocusta » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:55 pm

Violets can be SO very tricky for scents--some violets smell super-powdery, while others can turn heavy and suffocating. But with Dutch Adonis? It's just amazingly fresh and breathable! I was actually worried about the violet notes--but it manages to be so light and float-y without sacrificing any sillage power or wear-time.

On me, I get deep and purple violets--then I smell this sweep of black tea, which gives a dark just cooling effect which feels clean with a tiny hint of (what I swear smells like) bergamot. The black tea definitely feels so much like crushed tea leaves, with a very old world vibe and it helps lift up the violets on my skin. After a couple of minutes, I then smell sweeping notes of black pepper, cardamom and cumin which help ground the airy scent down. This is absolutely a beguiling perfume, it's very much a unique unisex perfume which feels carefree yet sensual (Seriously! It absolutely hits its inspiration to a T, it makes me think of so many guys I know who are like easygoing boys-next-door (rather than intense sex-bombs that *smoulder*) but could still draw an appreciative eye with a sweet smile). I've only just got this scent and I LOVE it so much already!