Hortus (Bosschaert the Elder)

The languor and buzz of summer. What a serene time, perfect for the flowers, green, aquatic, and perfumy.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:24 am

Possets description: An unabashed floral, because it's summer! Hortus means garden in Latin and this creation is a gossamer garden indeed. Fabulous linden blossoms, smooth neroli (both huge favorites amongst Possets fans and for good reason). Frangipani and plumeria and finally, an essence which is well loved in Ohio, fringe tree. A great infusion of soft yet persistent white/skin musk and a kiss of the greenery which knits it all together.

Sexy and womanly, delicate but strong. This is a melody of white flowers which are in abundance in June and dreamt of for the rest of the year. A remarkable combination of fragrances.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:46 am

I love linden blossom, so I was greatly looking forward to trying this, and got a full bottle as part of my summer perfume splurge. As I smelled it in the bottle, it smelled delightfully fresh (which might be the touch of greenery I was picking up) and yet very floral, with those honeyed linden notes that are so distinct of the true flower. When I applied it to my wrist, I initially got the linden and a sense of the other florals, with that fresh honey note. I did not specifically make out the neroli at that time. Early on, while it's drying, on my skin there was a short period of an almost gourmand type fragrance, and I wondered if it would become foody, but then it switched back to a full floral with the linden note predominant. To me, this perfume is more complex in nature than Posset's Linden Tea, for instance, and though LInden is a key player, you can feel a lot of depth and surrounding layers of scent from other notes as well, but I was not able to distinguish which other ones I was picking up as they seem to blend very well together. I have not knowingly experienced fringe tree fragrance, and all I know is that it is considered pleasant, sweet and subtle, so I was not sure if this was an essential oil used in it or an infusion that Fabienne created, and I was not sure if I was picking it up. Three-quarters of the way through, after wearing it six hours or so, I noticed that an interesting note developed on my skin that blended with the linden honey note that was almost reminiscent of a warm iron or a bit of a hot oven scent mixed in with the linden--no doubt my skin chemistry--Then after about 8 hours, I could smell the neroli and white flowers more clearly, and the white flowers rather than the linden became more of a fragrance that stood out to me. After this, overnight, the fragrance got much fainter, but I noticed this morning when I smelled my wrist, there is still a a faint fragrance of linden and perhaps a tinge of neroli left, very close to my skin. This fragrance truly to me says "summer" and it lasted for six hours as a complex floral and then was still discernible after that. It was not loud even though it lasted very well, and I feel very comfortable wearing it in public, as it is not the sort of fragrance that I think would make anyone ill or feel intruded upon. It was a lovely experience to wear it yesterday, and since it's hard to find a true linden fragrance, I feel very fortunate that Fabienne felt inspired to create this. The painting she paired with it represents it perfectly to me.

mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Hortus (Bosschaert the Elder)

Post by mina » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:12 am

I second everything marisaviola said.

A very beautiful perfum, not a lot of throw but very long lasting, "delicate but strong" like Fabienne said.

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:26 pm

Round and lush and heartbreakingly pretty! Linden is a newish note to my nose, but the neroli is definitely a player--it seems to ground it and keep it from smelling too foofy or soapy. I can imagine this on a young woman who is classy, but also unabashedly femme. Think Carey Mulligan, or Downton Abbey (which I've never seen, but the ladies in that cast are gorgeous). And it has a timeless--NOT old-fashioned--quality that makes it feel like it could have fit as well in the 20s as in the 70s. It's so very unique to my nose--I can't think of anything at all that it reminds me of! That rarely happens.

At the moment it's so good, I'm having a little love affair with my wrist. But I will need to try this many times to know if we will have a relationship. I usually know a perfume will work for me when I find myself craving it, so this will go in my main perfume case to keep testing. I think this is going to be a winner for me, though!

celandine
primordial
primordial

Post by celandine » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:48 am

I wanted to love this one but unfortunately any time a fragrance is mentioned as being "green" it goes to soap on me. Boo. :( However, beyond that, I definitely get the linden blooms, and I would describe the overall scent as bright - it's definitely very warm with a touch of spiciness. It's a floral without being too floral, really. I think the musk gives it an interesting additional layer that really adds to the complexity.