Mayan Queen Bloodletting Sacrifice (Ancient)

The languor and buzz of summer. What a serene time, perfect for the flowers, green, aquatic, and perfumy.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Mayan Queen Bloodletting Sacrifice (Ancient)

Post by Boudicca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:29 am

Possets description: The Mayan aristocracy took their obligations very seriously and that meant in order to be upstanding members of society they had to perform ritual sacrifices personally. Among those acts was pulling a thorn studded rope through a piercing in your tongue and offering the blood shed to the gods. This was a normal act of piety for the royal family and is commemorated in a variety of sculptures discovered in Mezzo America.

Incense smoke, copal resin, red fruit rich in iron scent, and the background of cacao and jungle atmosphere of greenery. This is a perfect scent picture of the day of blood sacrifice for the queen.

Resinous, smoky, incense, green, and dry.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Boudicca

Re: Mayan Queen Bloodletting Sacrifice (Ancient)

Post by Boudicca » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:14 pm

In the bottle and wet on skin this is/was all orange and green to me. I suppose that would be the copal and the jungle greenery but it was a bit like bitter orange to me which was not what I was expecting. The bitter/green thing dissipates and in addition to the "orange" there is red fruit emerging. Things get a little sweeter -- the cacao? also copal tends to be sweet -- but not really sweet. Maybe more of a lack of bitterness than all out sweetness. I'm only getting a hint of incense at the moment.
Overall it has an oddly tropical yet primal vibe which is really attractive. That probably doesn't make much sense but I'm very happy with it and will give it 5 out of 5 :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:58 pm

I get a very bright, tangy fragrance, with the copal giving it an orangey quality and the backdrop of cacao and hints of smoke and/or incense roughening it up. It's an energetic and even cheerful fragrance, which I guess is the best way to approach a blood sacrifice... ?
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:41 pm

How tangy is the citrus Petticoats? I love all of the other notes. but that one does make me nervous.

Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:05 pm

the cacao is very nice in this. all of the notes are very nice.
combined on my skin, however, the sweetness and brightness of the fruit combined with the smokiness of the incense and the cocao, copal, etc ends up reminding me of a most exotic chutney when it all dries down. really rich, foodie, exotic. a foodie scent for a manly man. there's a slight tang that offsets the smokiness. something reminding me of annatto/achiote.

I'm thinking this is a scent that will wear better on me in a few months, when it's cooler out and after it's sat and rested for a bit (I feel it's continuing to transform every time I sniff the bottle).
as it stands now, I'm excited that it exists and that I got to try it, but it isn't something i see myself reaching for to wear very often.
unusual and nice, but not very me.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:07 pm

I could only afford one bottle of goodness this time around (some debt is getting in the way of my sniffie goodness) so I ordered this one! I buckled, hemmed and hawed, wrang my hands, paced, had sleepless nights. After all, this is Possets we're talking about! But I finally had to knuckle down and pick one. And I can't wait for this one to come so I can post a review. And just in time for Halloween ones to be making an appearance... :gaah:

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:55 pm

Okay the best description, as I just pulled this beauty out of the mailbox and couldn't wait for it to settle, is...Green & Black's Maya Gold organic dark chocolate bar with orange and spices. This is that chocolate bar in a perfume oil. It's not as "chocolate" as the bar would be. The cacao is much more subtle. And the orange is more citrus like grapefruit than orange orange. It's tropical. and I love the hint of...cumin? Something in this smells like a note in Neptune, and I think that's what I picking up on?

I love this, it's lovely. And I think this will age very well indeed.