Pendant Mask, Iyoba, Nigeria

The languor and buzz of summer. What a serene time, perfect for the flowers, green, aquatic, and perfumy.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Pendant Mask, Iyoba, Nigeria

Post by Boudicca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:33 am

Possets description: One of the great art treasures of the world, this mask is made of ivory and is from the 16th century. The face is at once lifelike, almost eerily so, with eyes that are very true. Her expression is as mysterious as that of the Mona Lisa. The mask is trimmed with images of a sort of fish which can, of course, swim but also walk on land and so was thought to be able to do amazing deeds.

The deep feminine dignity of tuberose and gardenia combine gracefully with pure frankincense, drop of sandalwood and Green African musk. A scent fit for a Queen Mother indeed.

Oriental, floral.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

hill78
principalities
principalities

Re: Pendant Mask, Iyoba, Nigeria

Post by hill78 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:55 pm

Okay, first time trying this one out. I have been a bit wary of it since it's arrival. For some reason, in the bottle, this one hits my nose as a blast of pepper. I have no clue where that's coming from, unless it's something about the particular type of frankincense used...or something about the green musk? Once on the skin, Fabienne's lovely tuberose note begins to peek out. I get a hint of the gardenia with it. The peppery note backs down significantly, but it's still there if I sniff deeply. And unfortunately, I think the green musk doesn't like my skin. I can honestly say, I think this is the first time a musk ever decided to have an undercurrent of BO in me. Hmmm. This one might need to age a bit. The floral part is lovely, but the undercurrent of peppery BO (on my skin, your mmv) is not good.

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:26 pm

There may be something weird going on with my skin chemistry because most everything seems to be smelling sweet on me lately. This is sweet tuberose with a bit of sandalwood.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:48 am

On my skin no tuberose or gardenia but pure frankincense. Strangely it reminds me of Neptune with witch I have a love and hate relationship.

Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:53 pm

I can't help but feel that this scent is "still cooking," its true nature to come out later in the year, maybe even this winter.

I thought this would be a floral scent slightly redundant to girl with a floral crown. nope. not at all. not even in the slightest.
in the bottle and wet, there's a hit of something that reminds me strongly of mayan queen bloodletting. I have a secret hunch that the same pipette was used on this bottle, just after bottling the other (I of course don't really suspect this has happened, but my nose imagines this scenario)

dry the mayan aspect goes away, and what's left is cool and smooth and wooden. it really feels like the scent of an old wooden object, not coated or vanished, not a wood known for strong scents (not evoking pine or sandal etc). in this heat, it's almost too cool and smooth for my tastes, bordering on the bland on my chemistry. I do sense potential for this to develop (or for my nose and tastes to develop), but right now this isn't a scent I'm gaga over.

if you like cool and smooth and mellow wood, this may be for you. the florals aren't strong at all.