Portrait of Mrs. Abington (Reynolds)

The languor and buzz of summer. What a serene time, perfect for the flowers, green, aquatic, and perfumy.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Portrait of Mrs. Abington (Reynolds)

Post by Boudicca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:36 am

Possets description: Sir Joshua was a relentless experimenter with materials and with subject matter. He chose a very popular stage actress known as Mrs. Abington who was not the most beautiful woman but presented in such a winsome manner that we not only feel as if we have met her but that we are charmed by her coyness.

Buttery chocolate cake with white frosting and a filling of the best Bavarian cream. Plain and simple a sweet sweet indulgence. Mrs. Abington was said to be a great player of comedy and I think this foody blend would suit her to a tee.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

cordelia blythe
mortal
mortal

Re: Portrait of Mrs. Abington (Reynolds)

Post by cordelia blythe » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:22 pm

Anyone have any reviews for this one? Pretty please? I know it sounds like it is very obvious what it smells like but we all know how surprising Fabienne's blends can be & it's nice to hear other peoples thoughts on it as well

ltrittipoe
a spark
a spark

Re: Portrait of Mrs. Abington (Reynolds)

Post by ltrittipoe » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:51 am

I wouldn't think this would be so hard to review, with such a straightforward description, :rofl:
It's beautiful, foody, chocolatey, rich and sweet. But not as rich or sweet as it could be.... This is a true gourmand cake, a drier chocolate with a richer vanilla. I really love this one - it's definitely lighter than some foody blends and very wearable.

My mom made German Chocolate cake when I was little, and this reminds me of that cake, fresh out of the oven (before it was frosted with the yummy coconut/pecan/brown sugar frosting. There is none of that). Just the cake, by itself - a lighter chocolate, made with cocoa, lighter in color and texture. Drier, I guess. Not the heavy, dense chocolate of a devils food cake.

I'm terrible at reviews! HTH though.