Ship of Fools (Bosch)

The languor and buzz of summer. What a serene time, perfect for the flowers, green, aquatic, and perfumy.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Ship of Fools (Bosch)

Post by Boudicca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:40 am

Possets description: So much is going on in this little picture, the strumming lute player is oblivious to the activity around him, there is a fight between a man and a woman going on in the prow of the vessel and she looks like she is going to bash him with a wine ewer. A cooked chicken is lashed to the mast and a jester is drinking wine. Obviously, this is a ship without much organization and will come to no good. Debauchery pure and simple in the gentle season on the water.

To show this in perfume, I have started off with the tang of the sea and added a bit of refined leather to get things started, a roll of key lime zest and a goodly portion of faux ambergris. This is a very nice aquatic with an edge of leather and fruit which somehow combine to make a jolly, boisterous blend which is just perfect for summer!
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

katiushka
archangel
archangel

Re: Ship of Fools (Bosch)

Post by katiushka » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:03 pm

I really like this!! I'm smelling more of an overall picture rather than individual notes. I'm not smelling leather, ambergris or berries separately. Rather, I smell a ship whose wood has just been wiped down with lime cleaner, merrily drifting on the ocean. The emphasis is more on the lime cleaner and ocean, with wood as a backdrop. I'd say this is more unisex leaning strongly to the feminine side. (I don't usually like unisex perfumes, but I really love wearing this.) I don't think it's just the priming - it does evoke an image of jigs, jolly sailors and the freshness and freedom of the ocean; freedom that people sometimes use rather unwisely.

It's definitely not anywhere close to the same scent as "Hylas and the Nymphs" from the Valentine's Day collection, but I say it has a similar "men's deodorant at first sniff, complex lovely goodness at second and every whiff after that" feel. If you liked the feel of Hylas, I think you'll enjoy this too. Also, if you had a bad experience with "Shipman", don't let that put you off! Shipman was horrible on me, but this smells nothing like it.

On me, this is more of a skin scent (although not quite as skin-scenty as "Diamond" from the Spring collection) and lasts 3-4 hours.

katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:34 pm

Update!

I wore this yesterday to the Metropolitan Museum of Art - mainly because I needed something wonderfully fresh and perky to offset the cloying scent of heated oil from the pancakes I had made in the morning :P

As it turns out, even though I think it's a skin scent, it's not! At the end of the day, I reached for my bottle to refresh the scent. My mom asked, "is that what I have been smelling on you all day? Give me some - I really like it!"
:champ:

mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:10 am

Aquatic leather ...
The lime is prominent but I can smell the leather on the background. It gives me the impression to be on an ancient ship on the sea. It's very refreshing.

stubbornfire

Post by stubbornfire » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:07 pm

This goes so wrong on me and I'm really mad at my skin chemistry for ruining it.

First on it's a very aquatic lime, with lively ambergris in the background. Nice and sea worthy!

As it starts to dry, however, something goes off and misbehaves - and takes over everything. It turns the whole smell into...kind of like an unclean fish tank. :( Unclean fish tank with lime. I had to scrub it off; it was making me sick.

I'm sure this will stay lovely - and age lovely - on anyone with skin chemistry kinder than mine. The smell was also strong, without being show-off-y, so if this works for you, no need to slather; you'll smell lovely with just a bit!

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Okay, first, I have Erasure's "Ship of Fools" song stuck in my head. I remember studying Bosch in school and like his work. And this one is on my "maybe list". How strong is the lime? I tend to amp fruit. I love lime though. Thoughts from my forum scent twins?

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:08 pm

Atropos wrote:Okay, first, I have Erasure's "Ship of Fools" song stuck in my head. I remember studying Bosch in school and like his work. And this one is on my "maybe list". How strong is the lime? I tend to amp fruit. I love lime though. Thoughts from my forum scent twins?
That's my favorite Erasure song, but invariably this makes me think of "Ship of Fools" by Robert Plant. (A very nice song, as well.)

Ok, so I got this in a batch of 5 decants, and I was impatient, so I ended up trying them all at once. Even though I put them in different spots, it ended up turning into an oddball melange of scents, and I didn't really nail down any of them. Not only that, but I did it again the next day. 1812 Overture kept overtaking them all. The leather note in that one is so strong, it's like wearing a leather jacket.

Yesterday, though, I remembered there was a note in there that I liked, a softer leather--like book leather--and I tried Ship of Fools again, all by itself. OH MAN, it is sexy! It's definitely a unisex scent. The lime isn't very prominent for me, though it is for others apparently. The notes are very simple, a nice salty aquatic with a hint of leather and that slightly zingy "uptick" of citrus. I don't get anything else, certainly nothing fruity. I love lime and I have a bottle of Bike, which has a lime note so strong it comes off a bit like Pine-Sol. This is really far from that.

I'm wearing it again today, and I like the images it's conjuring up for me. It feels a bit arcane, like perusing an old library, say, Oxford University. (Maybe it's because I'm obsessed with Inspector Lewis right now that I'm thinking that.) It's has a casual, slightly hippie-ish feel to it...it suits this tomboy very well!

It's so good I had to last minute message Fabienne--I just put in an order for a couple of the Summers before they go away and I'm SO glad I tried this out when I did so I could get it in. :pom: