The Duchess of Alba (Goya)

The languor and buzz of summer. What a serene time, perfect for the flowers, green, aquatic, and perfumy.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

The Duchess of Alba (Goya)

Post by Boudicca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:46 am

Possets description: "Solo Goya" is the inscription at her feet and to which she points. It was Goya's misfortune to be an unattractive stumpy sort of a guy, he was a genius but that would not make up for his peasanty looks to such a high born lady as the Duchess. He pined for her and lived out his fantasy in her portrait. I suppose that she was too haughty to say that he should erase his sentiment, or perhaps he put it there later.

Cardamom brought from half way around the world on the superb Spanish trading ships, black pepper once so desired and dear of price, and ginger with the fierce hot crackle. You can imagine the passion of the Duchess in the face which Goya loved. A touch of grape, a pinch of saffron and turmeric.

Spicy, foody, musky.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: The Duchess of Alba (Goya)

Post by Petticoats » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:18 pm

I had wondered if this would be too spicy for summertime, but the grape cools things down a bit. Ginger is the most prominent note otherwise. It'll be interesting to see how this is after a few days to rest from its travels.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:46 pm

Petticoats wrote:I had wondered if this would be too spicy for summertime, but the grape cools things down a bit. Ginger is the most prominent note otherwise. It'll be interesting to see how this is after a few days to rest from its travels.
Does this remind you of any other Possets that you've tried? I'm very curious about this one, and wondering if it leans more toward a fruity/punch type perfume (maybe a red musk base?), or if it veers into a more dry territory while retaining fruit aspects.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:51 pm

Maya wrote:
Petticoats wrote:I had wondered if this would be too spicy for summertime, but the grape cools things down a bit. Ginger is the most prominent note otherwise. It'll be interesting to see how this is after a few days to rest from its travels.
Does this remind you of any other Possets that you've tried? I'm very curious about this one, and wondering if it leans more toward a fruity/punch type perfume (maybe a red musk base?), or if it veers into a more dry territory while retaining fruit aspects.
On me, it's more dry.

ETA: I'll try to think of whether it reminds me of any other Possets, but nothing is coming to mind.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 pm

I was really leaning toward this one, but the grape makes me nervous. Fruits can go so horribly wrong on my skin, and I do mean horrible. :s:

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:36 am

This is a really interesting one. In the vial it is qute grapey, but a true grape rather than the candy kind. The moment it hits my skin though? bam! spice! I really don't notice the grape in either the wet or dry phases except for maybe as a subtle sweetness. This is spicey and musky and I could see this working for either a man or a woman. I personally wouldn't call it foody.