The Great Clod (Durer)

The languor and buzz of summer. What a serene time, perfect for the flowers, green, aquatic, and perfumy.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

The Great Clod (Durer)

Post by Boudicca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:50 am

Possets description: Rich, dark, thick, sensuous, summer. Albrecht Durer painted a bit of earth replete with its growing elements, one of the most beautiful and iconic of all summer paintings to me, evidently, HM The Queen likes it, too, for it is in her collection.

Fig, earth, Pomegranate, greenery all dance together in happy harmony, a hymn to fertility and loveliness The Great Clod is one of the most graceful of summer creations. A lovely perfume.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: The Great Clod (Durer)

Post by mina » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:30 pm

"Rich, dark, thick and sensuous" exactly.
A rich fig gorged with sun. I can't smell the earth or the pomegranate but I know they are here because it's not just a "simple" fig smell.
Wonderful.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:33 pm

Hmmm, I love earthy. The pomegranate was my only concern. From your review my fears may be unfounded.

mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:23 am

I don't smell the earth in this one like I can smell it in nuut for example but the fig is "grounded" if that makes any sense.

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:00 am

In the vial: Bright and fruity and not "candley" as pomegranate tends to be to my nose.

Wet: very fruity but in a "grounded" way as Mina says. Kind of syrupy rather than fresh fruit? I like it. Not getting much greanery or earth though. At this stage it sort of reminds me of Romanee Conti but a little less foody.

Dry: ooh nice, sweet fig and a subtle earthiness. Reminds me just little of the dry phase of Dracula Rising but without the sandal.

Final verdict: Not alot of staying power but I am glad that I snagged a decant of this. It's really nice and I hope that the earthiness increases with age as I really love sweet/earthy blends.

Melian17
primordial
primordial

Post by Melian17 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:15 am

Straight out of the mailbox I get mostly pomegranate from my decant. It's a very deep, rich pomegranate with an underlying touch of earthiness. Sadly, I don't get much fig which is what I was hoping for from this. I'll have to let it sit for awhile and retest. It's very nice and well-done, but just not what I was expecting.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:59 pm

I am really leaning towards this one. :chase:

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:50 pm

As Fabienne's description says, this is a lovely perfume. All the elements play together so skillfully that it doesn't read as a gourmand or even a fruity fragrance; it's just a beauty. I'm not a fan of earth notes and worried that this would take over, but it recedes and becomes a team player. The pomegranate, too, doesn't stand out recognizably. This is just...a lovely perfume!
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.