The Windmill at Wijk (Duurstede)

The languor and buzz of summer. What a serene time, perfect for the flowers, green, aquatic, and perfumy.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

The Windmill at Wijk (Duurstede)

Post by Boudicca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:52 am

Possets description: One of the most perfect pictures ever painted, in my opinion. Somehow it manages to be jolly and foreboding at the same time. The sky appears to be whipping itself up into a North Sea frenzy as none of the maids traipsing along the shoreline notice. Is that ship trying to make dock or are they convinced it's just a fine breeze for sailing? The combination of: subject, composition, realistic paint handling, and placement all line up to make this an image which you will tear yourself away from after staring too long. It is hypnotic.

Marine vanilla (yes, I actually constructed this and it's beautiful), with an oakwood accord, silk accord, and two golden ambers. Dry and sophisticated and somehow resinous despite its aquatic parent. Highly unusual and very attractive.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

hill78
principalities
principalities

Re: The Windmill at Wijk (Duurstede)

Post by hill78 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:14 pm

Hmmm...this is very dry. Definitely getting the oak wood. This does smell quite summery, like sitting near some freshly hewn wood in the sun. Not getting the amber yet. I think most of what I am smelling is coming from the aquatic vanilla and oak wood. It is a bit too masculine for my tastes sat there moment, but I will give it time to rest and try it again in a couple of days.

katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:33 am

Yes - the smell of freshly chopped wood that has been in the sun and near salt water, and vanilla. On first application, I couldn't resist comparing to "Sterling Swizzle Stick" from the spring collection. While SSS's emphasis is more on the vanilla, Windmill's emphasis is definitely more on the wood.

I can see where people might not think this is overtly "feminine", as vanilla is on the backburner and the smell of a wooden building isn't exactly what we associate with feminine-sexy. But it's funny - I wouldn't call this scent masculine or unisex either. (I don't associate anything in this scent with anything I've smelled in those categories.) It's - different. Like Chanel different, when she released her trailblazing Chanel No 5. So it's a YES for me! Let's make memories with this chopped-wood-marine-vanilla scent, firmly linking its association to femininity from now on! :pom: :heartrise:

On the temperature scale, Windmill is for when it's getting slightly uncomfortably warm, but not too hot; the "last frontier" of the vanillas :D Slightly cooler, and you can wear any scent category - including unapologetic foodies like "Sterling Swizzle Stick" (in small quantities, of course). Slightly warmer, and nothing will save you except citrus and Fabienne's pure aquatics :grin:

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:35 pm

Tempting.... I do love a good aquatic and Fabienne does vanilla exquisitely.

celandine
primordial
primordial

Post by celandine » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:57 am

I want to love wood scents, I really do! I spent a lot of time in wood shops and the scent of fresh-cut lumber is just invigorating. That said, this particular perfume really fell flat for me. It's certainly different - I have to give it that! But the notes felt extremely discordant on first test, to the point that I couldn't even think of how to go about describing them. Fortunately, after 30 minutes it has melted away to nothing but dusty wood so I don't feel so bad about feeling "meh" about this one. I have a feeling this is a bit of a "cult" scent - there will be a handful of people for whom it will be mad love because it's so unique. I'm kind of sad it didn't work for me but then again... if every Possets scent was amazing for me I'd be so very, very broke! :)

mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:54 am

celandine wrote: - there will be a handful of people for whom it will be mad love because it's so unique.
I'm one of those people. Unique and beautiful.

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:21 pm

Well this is just lovely. That vanilla marine opener is heavenly, managing to suggest an almost green-tinged sweetness without being sweet at all. The oak note follows and just when it seems like it might just settle into a nice wood scent, the sweet amber gives the vanilla marine another boost. The notes seem to ebb and flow in this one, as each time I bring my wrist to my nose I get a different flash to the previous sniff. The oak is back again, and the amber is giving an almost skin-musk like vibe (almost, because I don't care for skin musk and what I'm smelling here is fabulous). This is a contemplative blend, and I think Fabienne did a brilliant job capturing the painting as it really does have a trance-like stillness to it, while still suggesting something ominous going on, very much like gathering storm clouds off in the distance, before the wind picks up.

This one has a very light sillage on me, remaining very close to the skin. To me, it's a feminine blend.

The vanilla marine note is indeed unique, and is a stroke of genius. This is what niche perfumery is all about, for me: invention and exploration. Without it, art stagnates, and that's no fun at all.

Looking forward to seeing how this one ages!

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:56 am

The opening for me is very similar to Funkmoppet's review, with a really unique marine vanilla accord. I also got that sense of greenness at the beginning, and it is definitely not a foody or baking type of vanilla. I smelled some driftwood aspect to it without it being really smoky and at this point it's not excessively woody to me. As it dries and warms to my skin, the oakwood accord becomes more prominent, but with that unique vanilla that keeps a saltwater tinge wafting in and out. It never for me becomes just wood or just vanilla, and the marine aspect is very subtle but there throughout hours of wearing. It is an extremely creative scent, and also has aged well and though it does not project loudly, I was surprised to see that after aging, it has excellent longevity on me, with that vanilla/amber aspect of it continuing through the afternoon and evening, mixed in with subtle aspects of the wood. The wood is dry, as has been mentioned in other reviews and also I agree with Katiushka's review that this does not strike me as a particularly unisex blend, though I am sure a man could wear it and it could blend very well with his chemistry. To me it does not come across as a specifically "masculine blend", however.

The next morning what I smell faintly is the vanilla and amber aspect of it, a slight lingering on my skin. However, the day before when I put it on it lasted for 6+ hours as very discernible on my wrist. I will echo Mina, in her review that it is "unique and beautiful." It's fascinating to me how the particular aspects of a primarily wood and vanilla blend can produce something very different from another vanilla wood blend such as "Lady with a Baby Unicorn."