Tres Riches Heures (The Limbourg Brothers)

The languor and buzz of summer. What a serene time, perfect for the flowers, green, aquatic, and perfumy.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Tres Riches Heures (The Limbourg Brothers)

Post by Boudicca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:54 am

Possets description: Everyone's favorite illuminated manuscript, the Tres Riches Heures is a visual playground for the Medieval aristocracy. Painted in purest blue made of lapis lazuli, and amazing greens, each scene painstakingly detailed and lovingly brought to life from the castles looming in the background (with every noble turret delineated) to the tiny hawks that the lords and ladies carry prettily into the summer field in August.

My thoughts on the Tres Riches Heures would be the indulgence of sweetmeats and buttery crusts and the finest zesty fruits (in this case the most perfumed apricots). The lightest dusting of spice to give it depth. Rich, foody and oh so delicious. A fragrance fit for a queen.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Boudicca

Re: Tres Riches Heures (The Limbourg Brothers)

Post by Boudicca » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:58 pm

Pie crust. Buttery pie crust with just a hint of spice to warm things up. When I ordered it, I wasn't sure about the apricot -- figured that could be a love/hate thing with no middle ground. Fortunately it's love!

It's like a scrumptious little apricot tart.

Not a lot of throw but it's been travelling, just arrived this morning.

celandine
primordial
primordial

Post by celandine » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:01 pm

This is one of those evocative scents that I swear I've smelled somewhere before but can't quite place it. Unfortunately I amp anything even remotely spicy like crazy (pepper, clove, and juniper are particularly awful for me) and the "dash of spice" in this turns to straight up cinnamon on me. The good news is that it's a warm, sweet cinnamon, true to reality, not like red hot candies or the fake cinnamon note you sometimes get in candles. I don't get much in the way of apricots on first application, but I do get a sense of the buttery crust (in the bottle I get a hint of the cream note that tends to go rancid for me, but luckily it cooperates this time!) After 30 minutes or so it softens a bit and I get more sweetness and a hint of the apricot. I'm reminded of mulling spices simmering on the stove with a little citrus rind (though not quite as sharp as that!) - it's definitely more of a wintery scent to me with all of the cinnamon goodness! I have a feeling this one will age very well. It's strong, but with a very minimal throw, and I'm guessing it'll stick around for a bit as the spicy scents always do.

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:03 pm

The weather's cooled down a bit and I thought this would be a good POtD. The throw & longevity were quite decent today, so I think celadine was spot on about it aging well! I've got it going in the scent locket too, and that always helps. I think this will be popular in my rotation this fall.