Barmbrack (Irish Halloween Cake)

Full of wonders, signs, and glorious fall perfume.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Barmbrack (Irish Halloween Cake)

Post by Boudicca »

So many good things go into this foody favorite that it is almost painful to list it. A gingerbread-like base filled with molasses and raisins soaked in rum, then a great tumble of chestnuts and a good dollop of maraschino cherry and almond extract, finally a thick crusting of brown sugar, another shot of rum and citron.

Barmbrack is a rich cake which is traditional for the Irish Halloween times. It contains surprises which foretell the next year's fortunes of those who eat it. Get a bit of cloth? That means you will be poor and wear rags next year. A coin will bring wealth, a button will mean a man will have to launder his own socks for the next while and a thimble for a lady means she will continue being a spinster for now. A ring, on the other hand for anyone, means you will find a mate soon.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Barmbrack (Irish Halloween Cake)

Post by Petticoats »

This is poised enjoyably between foody and perfumy. The cherry and almond are evident, but everything is very smoothly blended, and there's an overall interesting quality that I can't quite define... I think it's the rum. I like it! It's not a spice or sugar bomb, more subtle and grown-up than that.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Re: Barmbrack (Irish Halloween Cake)

Post by Atropos »

Petti, you and I are similar in chemistry I think. How foody is this one?