Jin (evil spirit from the U.A.E.)

Full of wonders, signs, and glorious fall perfume.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Jin (evil spirit from the U.A.E.)

Post by Boudicca »

A true peach oriental with ingredients they use in the Unite Arab Emirates (UAE). Peaches, dried peaches, patchouli, and tobacco extract, a good wollop of cardamom and big shot of a very dry amber. A foody resinous blend which is just what cooler weather perfects.

In the UAE there is a persistent belief in jins, evil mischief making sprites which will interfere with your car, make noises in the night, and even etch the evil eye into paint and glass. Nothing to be trifled with and part of the Arabian peninsula's heritage of myths for thousands of years. In a land which can product the most amazing spectacles, this might be very logical indeed. You might be able to catch one out of the corner of your eye, but they are felt more readily than seen.

The drawing is The Ghost of Darius Appearing to Atossa by George Romney.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
sandi0606
a spark
a spark

Re: Jin (evil spirit from the U.A.E.)

Post by sandi0606 »

LOVE THIS!! Very soft and slightly spicy. ..It makes me think of snuggling up with a soft blanket on a chilly evening. The peach is there, which makes me think of summer, bit it is so well blended that it hints instead of overpowers the other scents. And don't worry, you will NOT smell like peach cobbler! This scent is a great transition from summer into fall.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

In the bottle: Mmmmmm, oh yes. It's like the Gingerbreads and fruit had a baby (it's not quite peach, not quite apricot, but rather like both of them dried and almost fruit leathery, but with hints of the fresh juicy fruit lurking waaaay down below).

On my skin: The peach blossoms, and with the gingerbread essence it turns into something that almost comes across as chocolate perfume. Not quite chocolate, but as if a perfumer was doing a modern take of chocolate but in perfume form. That phase shifts around a little bit, and goes "cool" on me for a minute or two, where it turns straight into peach perfume (not peach, but like a modern take of peaches only as perfume). Then a pipe tobacco lifts up a bit (omg, so beautiful) and dives down again to become an amazing base and the peach becomes softer and juicier. Right here, just right here I fall in love. This is beautiful. It rides on a masculine edge, but omg this is so gorgeous. Tobacco and peach is probably a combination I would have never imagined together, but this proves they were MADE for each other. For a few minutes, as it shifts around a bit more, it smells a little like a VERY upscale soap that belongs only in the most posh salon. The peach continues to feel like a combo between fruit leather and juicy succulence. The tobacco is utterly amazing in this--fresh and a bit moist--and it weaves around the peach so beautifully. I don't get much patchouli, but I do sense it lurking around the edges and I think as this ages it will come out a bit more and rough this up a little bit more and make it even sexier. (I did have this on my skin and applied again to get my first impressions, and a few hours on the skin brings out the patchouli a little more to merge beautifully with the above notes--and seems to be providing some of the spiciness to this.)

As it dries down, the notes soften a bit, while still retaining the slightly masculine vibe, and yet oddly it makes me feel more feminine and powerful and...I dunno how to put it except this: Just beautiful.

Out of all of the ones I've tried today, this is the one I keep returning to. It's complex and simple and snuggly but gorgeous all at the same time. I agree that this is a great transition perfume, but I can also see me reaching for this (often) in the dark and gray days of winter. It's soothing and comforting, but also uplifting and assured of itself. It shifts around quite a bit for the first half hour, but after that it seems to take all of the good notes and ride that through the rest of the hours in a more gentle form without losing substance. I could also see myself wearing this in spring, and on brilliant summer nights when the humidity has dropped down a bit and I just want to go out and enjoy the stars.

This is a blend where Fabienne's mastery of perfume really pops. The notes balance each other *beautifully* in such a way that you know what you're smelling but the sum is SO much greater than the parts. I would definitely not slather this one on. The nuances seem to pop most when applied with a lighter hand, and the longevity is solid enough that I think slathering would over do this one. This is a fragrance to savor like a fine wine or chocolate. You can gulp a Hershey's bar, but you experience a fine European chocolate. This perfume is one to experience (and I have a feeling I'm going to want to experience it over and over). Stunning. Beautiful. Just...fantastic.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka »

Nailed it, Maya! I couldn't have said it better. I agree with everything you wrote!
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

I concur with much of what Maya said. This is simple but complex too. The warm tobacco is not dry or smoky, just deep and rich and and the peach adds to that, enhancing the fruitiness like in a peach pipe tobacco. It does flirt with masculinity, but it's also delightfully feminine in its warmth and the fruitiness of the peach. The peach is fleshy but not syrupy or juicy, more like peach preserves. The patchouli is in the background but may be more prominent with aging. This is a gorgeous warm, almost resiny-but-not scent that would work in fall, winter, and spring.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango »

I really like this one! In the vial it actually has a caramel kind of smell that nearly scared me off. On inital application a powderinees emerges which is normally a deal breaker for me but I didnt mind this so much. The powdery smell eventually gives way to a lovely peach and tabacco combo with somethig perfumey lingering the background. I cant wait to see how this ages. And gypsyjolie is right, this definitely has a resiny quality.