Jurogumo (Japanese Spider Demon)

Full of wonders, signs, and glorious fall perfume.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Jurogumo (Japanese Spider Demon)

Post by Boudicca »

A powerful vanilla musk the likes of the one used in Dance With Me (VERY seductive yet subtle and cloud-like), and rich cardamom,and finally the nectar of peaches squeezed in the summer sun and concentrated to make a sugary peach liquor.

This perfume is named for the Japanese spider demons who appear to hapless men as beautiful women who serve them and play irresistible music for them. They lure their victims to sleeping in their laps and them wrap them in silk and feed on them as they are helpless even to scream, being paralyzed by the venom of the spider devil, they can feel but not cry out.

I chose the white and gauzy vanilla to remind me of the spider's silk and how appealing it is when a light shines through it and it casts a soft glow by diffusing light. The cardamom is an illusion of the hospitality the spiderwoman shows men, and peach to imagine what dainties she would prepare for the men she was going to feed upon.

Dangerous and sexy.

The image is an engraving by Gustave Dore from The Inferno, Arachne
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
stellamaris
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Jurogumo (Japanese Spider Demon)

Post by stellamaris »

:hrt:: :hrt:: :hrt:: :hrt:: :hrt::

This. Possets at their finest. Heady and rich, like Arrival of the Queen of Sheba. So well blended nothing overpowers. Not foody per se, not perfumey, but the most lovely aroma. Heaven. :heartrise:
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

In the bottle: Ohhhhh mmmmm, yes! Dry powdered chocolate, vanilla, and a faint peach liqueur.

On my skin: The vanilla opens immediately, the way Reason does. Very straightforward vanilla that can come across as a bit alcoholic. The chocolate (dark chocolate mixed with a bit of milk chocolate) drops down immediately into the base and resolves into being the cardamom. At this point it smells like a completely decadent drink spiked with a tinge of some kind of thick alcoholic something (rum, maybe) without smelling like alcohol (if that makes any sense at all--it's just that kind of note with edges and spikes but warm and intoxicating). It takes about five minutes before the peach begins to open up on my skin.

As it dries: The peach begins to come forward and plays beautifully with the cardamom. This comes across as delicate, with a bite (perfectly named for a spider). The vanilla plays steadily with the other notes, and makes this both luscious and delicious but also gives it an ethereal lift. This is a foody that definitely keeps a foot in the foody camp but that has a surprising edge that leans to the perfumey side with a sly nod to sophistication. I have a feeling that every time I wear this one, people are going to want to hug me just a bit longer than usual lol.

This is delightful, and I think is going to age beautifully. I can see this being worn almost year round, but think it will be too much on nasty muggy days (the vanilla may be too heavy instead of lift then, but would be gorgeous on the evening of one of those days as the sun begins to set and the stars come out).

Warm. Engaging. Comforting. Snuggly. But also utterly foodily delightful.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
fireweaver
mortal
mortal

Post by fireweaver »

I love, LOVE this one! It starts out with the vanilla and cardamom, almost like pavure, without the aspect of silver that goes just slightly off on me. Then the peach joins in, and it's sweet, but with almost a bit of the skin bitterness to keep it from being too much. As it dries, it all blends together into gorgeousness.