Lady Hawke

Full of wonders, signs, and glorious fall perfume.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Lady Hawke

Post by Boudicca »

Woody, smooth, beautiful, black. This is a heavily complex fragrance with luan wood, loblolly pine (the wood only, not the resin), white teak, and a drop of cedar. These things are matched up with a jolt of tobacco essence, dry amber, fallen leaves, Greek saffron, and the scent of a really expensive spa. Breathtaking, rich, well bred, well educated. Totally eligible and totally elusive and totally sexy.

Dry, woody

That is me with a Harris Hawk named Nate. He is impeccably well trained and a real joy to be with.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Re: Lady Hawke

Post by gypsyjolie »

How can a scent based on four kinds of wood end up smelly so soapy? Yikes, this one is a screamer, with a high pitched musk-like and nearly floral, very perfumey scent. There's is little warmth to this scent to my nose, and while it is rich and almost spicy at its base, the predominant part of the scent is the almost hairspray-like perfumey element. Not for me, but fans of the classic perfume house perfumes may enjoy this.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

gypsyjolie's review scared me a bit, and indeed, what she describes is what I was smelling out of the bottle. From her description I was expecting something like Portrait of Christina of Denmark (which is shrill, shrill, SHRILL! to my nose) and painfully cold and sharp. But I braved it this morning, and on the skin, it's much warmer and sweeter. I'm definitely getting a woody, almost incense-like note (I think it's the cedar). It reminds me of the scent of sandalwood beads. It's hard to pin down, complex the way Fabienne can do. Give it a chance, it may be something totally different for you!
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

I would echo several forum members in the general Halloween section who said this smells more mainstream and sophisticated. I would agree with Katiushka that it has an aldehyde type aspect to it, and I do smell some woods in it and feel that gives it a strong core and foundation of basenotes to hold the "spa type" notes in place. This would be a good scent for those who like the classic and some of the designer fragrances like Chanel or Givenchy, and I love the name and concept of it. For that alone, I had to try it.
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka »

Of everything I’ve tried from the Halloween collection, this is my favorite.

Mariasviola gave a very good description of the aldehyde but woods and spa notes aspects. This duality makes me find it VERY warm – which makes it different from the mainstream high-end aldehyde perfumes, and much more wearable. The cold/sharp aspect of most reflects an aloofness and for that reason I don’t reach for them often – they’re just not me, and I end up living a “perfume lie” for the day :P

Lady Hawke is the aldehyde I reach for when I want to smell sophisticated, high-end but still authentic – no mask to hide my personality.

I voted for this, but doubt it’s going to get as much traction as some of the others – so I encourage anyone who is looking for a warm and comforting aldehyde to give this a try before the Halloweens come down. It’s really special. :rose4u:
caith_possets
mortal
mortal

Post by caith_possets »

This opens with a very fresh sort of sweetness that I really like. It's very classy and classic. I do understand where the soapy descriptions are coming from but there's a definite and noticeable sharpness - that almost aldehyde quality that others have mentioned - that keeps it from being truly soapy. It's quite intriguing, really, and I'm very glad to have a bottle. It will make a perfect work scent, but I could easily see myself wearing this on weekends, too.
woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango »

in the vial, sharp and soapy. Initial on me still sharp bit with some definite teak and pine going on. On the dry down this has a masculine edge to it. It might be a touch too cedary for my liking but I will see if it fades into something more relaxed. I could see this being great dabbed on a cloth and kept in a drawer.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

I've been interested in this one due to the notes, until everyone commented it gets soapy. Soapy and powder and I don't get along.