Strigoi (The Original Dracula)

Full of wonders, signs, and glorious fall perfume.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Strigoi (The Original Dracula)

Post by Boudicca »

The original Dracula straight from Romania, land of eternal Halloween. Suave and mystical, oddly vulnerable while tough as nails. A light dusting of cedar powder and an underlayer of sweet myrrh, white pepper, Italian lemon zest, and myrtle. Hawthorn takes off the edge of uneasy unbridled manliness and has the whole settle into a comforting yet masterful mix. An edge of soft brown leather completes the composition. Strong, musky, more masculine than feminine but very strong feminine at the same time. This is almost a chypre but not quite. In any class, it is a beautiful and well bred sexuality in a bottle.

The Image is Figure amongst The Trees by Jakub Schikaneder.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Re: Strigoi (The Original Dracula)

Post by katiushka »

To my nose, this combines the best of uplifting citrus, mysterious chypre and sensuous oriental – all without being too heady or unsuitable for wear. A winner.

It starts out as a chypre, and dries down into a resinous/oriental blend with the slight suggestion of chypre. In the beginning, the citrus and myrtle lift the myrrh, preserving its sensual character but preventing it from being too heavy or sweet. In the drydown, the citrus isn’t present anymore, resulting in the switch to oriental, but the myrtle is still there to balance out the sweetness and provide the slight suggestion of chypre. I’m sure the other listed notes are there too; my nose just isn’t sophisticated enough to pick them out.

People who are afraid of this scent’s “masculine” character – don’t be! This I really can’t call unisex or masculine in the usual sense of the word. On a woman (on me, that is – I haven’t done any third-party testing, lol), it smells very feminine, in both a strict Chanel-esque and opulent Yves Saint-Laurent way. (That’s the chypre/oriental duality!) It smells like it belongs on me, not like I put on a (hypothetical) lover’s cologne by accident. But I’m sure it would smell striking on a man too.

Longevity is 2-4 hours – due to brushing off on coats, laptops, etc. Afterwards, it’s still possible to smell if you put your nose close to the skin, but I prefer reapplying!
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

I found that Strigoi is a beautiful and striking fragrance. To me it seemed very unisex, and full of depth. I loved the combination of notes in it, and it seemed very classic and classy to me. It came through as very smooth on my skin, and all the notes blended with one another and I would say also that it does not fit one category easily, but reminds me of several. This one is a winner, and I highly recommend it to those who enjoy unisex fragrances. The other benefit is that it lasts a long time on me and does not fade for 4-5 hours.
woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango »

Since Fabienne's last vampire themed perfume has been my all time favorite I had to try this one too :D

Out of the vial, this definitely smells masculine and it makes me happy. Once applied I get the lemon, a subtle pepperiness and perhaps some hawthorn (which I think I am starting to learn to detect as a subtle sweetness?). oh humbug,,On the dry down it seems to go rather powdery (possibly the myrrh?). admittedly my nose is abit stuffy today so I may need to try again but I reeeeally liked what I was smelling in the wet stage.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

woodenmango wrote:Since Fabienne's last vampire themed perfume has been my all time favorite I had to try this one too :D

Out of the vial, this definitely smells masculine and it makes me happy. Once applied I get the lemon, a subtle pepperiness and perhaps some hawthorn (which I think I am starting to learn to detect as a subtle sweetness?). oh humbug,,On the dry down it seems to go rather powdery (possibly the myrrh?). admittedly my nose is abit stuffy today so I may need to try again but I reeeeally liked what I was smelling in the wet stage.

I worry about the lemon and the powdery possibilities, though this is on my "strong maybe" category.
caith_possets
mortal
mortal

Post by caith_possets »

I had much the same experience as woodenmango - it starts off as a gloriously unisex sort of scent, clean and fresh, with all the notes so well-blended that I can't really pick out individual notes. As it dries, a powdery aspect does come through, but I find I don't mind it much at all. It's not the usual baby powder that comes out with, for example, a lot of amber notes on my skin - it's more like a slightly powdery generic lotion-y scent. But it isn't the dominant note to me, so I'll still happily slather this on. I think it will be perfect for work or other situations where you can't wear anything too strong or too strange.