Review Requests and Random Stuff

Smooth resins and incense we have been waiting for, and the chypres we adore.

Moderator: Maya

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Re: Review Requests and Random Stuff

Post by Atropos »

Annemathematics wrote:I've been trying for days to post reviews for my yule samples, but the forum site keeps on deleting them instead of uploading them. A really beautiful one on Winter that I just don't feel like thumb typing again.

Anyone else have issues on their phones, or is it just me and my stupid android? Am I blocked?

Oh and I love your reviews, and I really wanted more reviews of "Winter". Darn! Can you give a briefer review so your poor thumbs don't fall off? :grin:
Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent »

marisaviola wrote:Hi, Minh, I meant to add to my previous post as I did get a sample of Madame X Squared (but not to the 3rd power):

Madame X Squared: In the vial I smell a creamy musk and something added that reminds me of two different famous Possets: Courtly Love and also Haiku--Fangping Gauze Screen, both of which I love. Putting it on I would echo the description that it's very light but lingering. It's soft and not in your face but it does not fade quickly on me. I can smell a soft cloud around me just from putting it on my wrist. The ginger to me is very present, a fresh ginger smell rather than a spice or bakery type note--what is a touch of peach and some osmanthus in Gauze Screen and light apricot and jasmine in Courtly Love seems to be ginger and a golden type floral note--I don't know what sunflower pollen is supposed to smell like but this is not what I think of as a strong honey note, though it could be a honeyed floral. It's not like gardenia or mimosa or linden and not very floral, but just a touch. I'm getting that golden or yellow flower scent rather than lemon. This definitely is a beautiful spring or summer blend and would do very well, I think, in warmer weather. It's light and ethereal without being watery or faint.
Your reviews are amazing and helpful! Thank you so much! Wow, this sounds really different from the other Madams!
Apollonia
mortal
mortal

Post by Apollonia »

X Squared sounds so lovely! I don't think there's a single Yule that I don't want to try. How do you old hands at indies manage your collections? I feel like I'm going to need to build an extension on to my house to store all my perfume.
MageLocusta
primordial
primordial

Post by MageLocusta »

Hai guys! I just gotten my first Yule samples (seriously, Fabienne has been so amazing, I applaud her hard work!). I've gotten myself Peppermint Pig, Frog Princess, Lady and a Baby Unicorn and Silver Oud!

Now, I know the vials are just fresh off the package and probably don't have time to really shine, but I'm still wowed by how lovely LaaBU is. I literally smelled it as soon as I opened the envelope (and wow, this is a rich, fancy vanilla. I feel bad that I don't have some sort of 'vanilla chart' to point out its exact degree of fanciness, richness and wearability!). It's definitely a vanilla scent that reminds me of medieval ladies (even though vanilla was like strictly from South America). It DOES convey innocence but at the same time a languid sort of hidden sexuality (and it feels like...cuddly, like a baby unicorn). The vanilla note then floats off to turn into a light-brown dirt note and WOW, I want to *eat* this dirt! It's a clean-smelling kind of dirt which feels slightly gritty but has been packed solid onto the floor by many feet, which brings to mind of standing in a medieval courtyard in a dirt path (with a few hidden sprigs of hardy grass and weeds there). For those who like Violette Market's Zombie Cotton Candy, the grittiness and wearability of the dirt note is rather like LaaBU's dirt note. Except with LaaBU, there's no desolate 'sun scorched' feel like in ZCC. LaaBU's dirt scent feels much more homey in my opinion.

I also REALLY want to make an honorable mention of Peppermint Pig. Man, I am so glad I selected it (it was so hard choosing which fragrances to try, I spent a week thinking whether to choose Pink Festivus or Osmium instead of the Double-P but I'm super-glad I took the latter by chance). I'm the kind of person who couldn't get into Wings of an Angel because the mint felt a little too watery to me, but Possets did an amazing thing by making such an awesomely complex and unique peppermint scent! It's like bitey peppermint>crisp and cold mint stems>BABY-SOFT SWEETNESS (kinda like the silver note but different!)>rich brown bark>awesome cinnamon and clove. The bark note smells amazing, and it's so textured that it evokes something 'wild' and naturey to me (and the cinnamon and clove smell fresh, and like the real expensive kind that your parents will hoard and only use once-a-year for mulled wine because it's the SPECIAL STUFF). It really makes me feel squeaky-clean, and it absolutely warded off the stink of chopped onions on my arm when I was cooking yesterday (and the longevity is great too). Waking up today and still smelling it on my arm really brought a smile on my face. It IS like candy, but a badass gourmet version that gets eaten by your lumberjack boyfriend before he suggests a nice walk in the woods after breakfast.

I really oughta try the other two, but I don't wanna to scrub these two fragrances off my arm. Frog Princess does smell really happy and refreshing on the vial (and ooh! Is that wet moss I'm smelling? Wow, I guess I have a new favorite perfume note), and I can see how it'd go great even in warm temperatures. Silver Oud smells...interesting, I really like the wood scent but I've never smelled anything of its like before, so I will definitely try the two today (even though LaaBU and PP make me want to slather the both of them on me again).

Seriously, thanks so much again, Fabienne! I'm so glad I got to sample these scents (because as a receptionist from abroad, I would've been forced to only buy one bottle during this hectic holiday season--and then miss out on all the other fragrances that you have in the collection)!

EDIT: Oops, I just found out that the 'hardy grass' note is in fact vetiver! Never mind, I just want to clarify that there's no 'cut grass' note in Lady and a Baby Unicorn, but it does smell like a hardy plant that blends really well with the earthy note and vanilla.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Great reviews Mage Locusta! I can't wait to see your takes on the other two! :hug:
Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent »

Going through the reviews, it seems Cyphre d'Hiver is favored over Yule Romp? Reading the notes, they seem so different, not even sure they can be compared.
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka »

Minh Scent wrote:Going through the reviews, it seems Cyphre d'Hiver is favored over Yule Romp? Reading the notes, they seem so different, not even sure they can be compared.
That was probably me :s:

Basically, I was looking for something that smells like "the Russian holidays" - fir / pine trees and some sort of citrus. I was hoping Yule Romp would be it, but I wasn't getting any fir on my skin and the citrus seemed to be more a representation of the scent I was looking for rather than the scent itself. I didn't think Chypre d'Hiver would smell anything like I was looking for based on the notes, but it actually does - something about the oakmoss/ lavender combo makes it smell like pine tree sap to me. And there is true-to-life orange, too.

I don't think anyone else compared the two based on the actual scent, but from the other reviews it appears that, among those who have tried each, Chypre d'Hiver is generally highly favored and Yule Romp might not be as high on the please-make-the-permanents list.
stellamaris
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by stellamaris »

Well. I have to say for me Peppermint Pig is the Nocturne of this years Yules. It's so much more than a simple "candy" scent, the dry down is amazing, and I get the added benefit of a slight cooling sensation from the peppermint. I promise you, I will wear the :cuss: out of this in the warmer months, and it's become my most loved sleeping scent. And often awake scent.
If this does not make the perms, I will be buying the :bchamp: Giant Economy Size for sure.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

stellamaris wrote:Well. I have to say for me Peppermint Pig is the Nocturne of this years Yules. It's so much more than a simple "candy" scent, the dry down is amazing, and I get the added benefit of a slight cooling sensation from the peppermint. I promise you, I will wear the :cuss: out of this in the warmer months, and it's become my most loved sleeping scent. And often awake scent.
If this does not make the perms, I will be buying the :bchamp: Giant Economy Size for sure.

OMG! I Love Peppermint Pig too!. It's not foody though it's based on candy. I just got it, in my sample pack, and I've been trying it on with others that I ordered, so I really need to test drive it by itself, but so far, it's AMAZING! The dry down is to die for. I'll give it a proper review later but so far...it is a sleeper hit.

And Mona Lisa? WOW! Again, another I've been trying with my other samples, and it needs it's own time at the driver's wheel, but holy smokes. It reminds me of Theodora but dries down to this exquisite scent that hugs the skin.

The Burning X-Mas Tree reminds likens itself to a Winter cousin to the Summer's Phyllotaxis.

Lady and the Baby Unicorn I'm not sure my skin likes. Again, it's own test drive is necessary.

Dirty Angel is intriguing I see what someone meant, Boucicca I think, when they called it clean dirt. It is earthy but clean. I really think I like it. Again though, it's competing with the others right now. So by it's lonesome I hope to tease it out and see how it goes.
Last edited by Atropos on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent »

:pom:
katiushka wrote:
Minh Scent wrote:Going through the reviews, it seems Cyphre d'Hiver is favored over Yule Romp? Reading the notes, they seem so different, not even sure they can be compared.
That was probably me :s:

Basically, I was looking for something that smells like "the Russian holidays" - fir / pine trees and some sort of citrus. I was hoping Yule Romp would be it, but I wasn't getting any fir on my skin and the citrus seemed to be more a representation of the scent I was looking for rather than the scent itself. I didn't think Chypre d'Hiver would smell anything like I was looking for based on the notes, but it actually does - something about the oakmoss/ lavender combo makes it smell like pine tree sap to me. And there is true-to-life orange, too.

I don't think anyone else compared the two based on the actual scent, but from the other reviews it appears that, among those who have tried each, Chypre d'Hiver is generally highly favored and Yule Romp might not be as high on the please-make-the-permanents list.
Ah, lovely Katiushka, you never need a bag over your head, my dear! I have been following your reviews since I joined the forum and your comments are always helpful. For most of collections, I don't have the chance to smell them before they go down. I vote on notes and reviews. Chyphre d'Hiver sounds amazing. Yule Romp has my alley with the first and orange.