Girl in White

Smooth resins and incense we have been waiting for, and the chypres we adore.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Girl in White

Post by Boudicca »

I have always loved the Girl in White. I bought a poster of it at the National Gallery in Washington, D.C. and put it up on my wall when I was in high school. Lots of people said she looks innocent, but I always thought she looked not so innocent and very sad indeed. She is standing on a bearskin rug with probably is meant to let you know that she has triumphed over savagery. The white dress is a symbol of purity.

Grapefruit, pink musk, a drop of white oude, a real stunner through its simplicity and harmony.

Fruity, musky, resinous.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
celandine
primordial
primordial

Re: Girl in White

Post by celandine »

I'm not usually all grabby hands with the grapefruit scents; I've tried Dance with Me and Diamond and they were nice but not really something I'd reach for every day. But Girl in White... uhnf. I can barely form a coherent sentence when I try to describe it. I know I'm a sucker for soft florals (Linden Blossom Tea and Silver Violets are two of my top favorite Possets) and this is exactly what I think grapefruit flowers SHOULD smell like (I've never actually smelled a grapefruit flower though, so... you know) and that's definitely part of it. But I think it really tips right over into the chasm of "how many bottles of this can I hoard before people start thinking I'm a lunatic?" because it is So. Well. Blended. Seriously. It's not in-your-face flowers or grapefruit but more of "I know this scent, what is it??" And then it sort of comes to you and, DAMN. It's just so good. And while I wish I could just slather myself in this and live in a little bubble of sweet grapefruit flowers, about 15 minutes it fades down to a lighter skin-close scent, so it turns out to be perfect for work. Which is just the cat's pajamas because sometimes you need something especially happy to get you through a Thursday, ya know?

So TL;DR: YES. UHNF. MINE. /grabby hands
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

It took all my effort to NOT put on Baby Unicorn today, and try this one instead. I absolutely love this! Tart grapefruit gives it the air of a classic perfume, but the oude gives it a sultry, bohemian vibe. It's also got a bit of throw and staying power (I've had it on for about six hours, and it's still quite noticeable). Very lush. A real wrist-huffer!
SakuraTsukikage

Post by SakuraTsukikage »

I love this scent. It's sweet overall, but it has that edge of grapefruit tang that makes it really smell like grapefruit, and a bit of something to ground it--I don't smell the oude as such, but there's definitely something giving it a bit of an elegant base and undercurrent. It's very sweet, very pink to me, and as it wears I feel like the grapefruit and pink musk merge together into something sweet and harmonious, with just that touch of tangy grapefruit that gives it an extra pop. I absolutely love the effect it produces--it's gorgeous, sweet and upbeat and yet to me it does still smell elegant, something you might wear to perform in a concert or to a classy party--and it was a great scent to wear on New Year's Eve!
Alaizabel
mortal
mortal

Post by Alaizabel »

This is my favorite Posset of 2015! Echoing others - it is so gorgeous. The grapefruit is muted but still juicy and fresh - just not too tart or "in your face" as some grapefruit scents can be. To me it's like a beautiful cotton candy grapefruit - it's not too foody or too strong of a vanilla (which I amp like crazy), and not too candy like or sweet. Just a lovely, wafting, sugary grapefruit with almost a bit of a linen or cotton note to balance it all out. So absolutely lovely. It has longevity and a great throw too. I keep smelling it wafting up as I go about my day and it makes me smile.
lemusc

Post by lemusc »

Girl in White is a sweet, bright grapefruit scent grounded by a faint wet/earthy note, which I guess is the white oud. The sillage is good for the first hour or so but it quickly dries down to a subtler, work-appropriate scent. I like the dry down stage best, as the musk and oud become more apparent as the grapefruit fades. Though it was part of the winter collection, I am wearing this a lot more now that the weather is warm.
PeculiarHeroine
mortal
mortal

Post by PeculiarHeroine »

So after the triumph of Dance with Me, I dug out the other Grapefruit blend I have. Enter Girl in White, which I bought in the last Winter update, for reasons unknown.
This is not Dance with Me, but it is very nice! The pink musk is gorgeous, so feminine and sweet, and the sparkle of the grapefruit adds a bit of wit. The oud keeps it grounded, and helps the whole thing mellow into something very work appropriate and adult.
Its a grown up femininity, and I really like that quality. And its really, really nice on a warm summer day!