Horhus

Smooth resins and incense we have been waiting for, and the chypres we adore.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Horhus

Post by Boudicca »

No kidding, the word really is Horhus! Great place reeking of peach nectar and mulled cardamom-laced spice wine, and a great lashing of resinous frankincense brought back from the levant. When nights are dark, this stuff is dynamite. You will be wrestling well, and well appreciated when you prepare yourself with Horhus! Sex-aye.

Foody, fruity, resinous
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Horhus

Post by Petticoats »

This was my initial favorite from my Yule order until the others started flaunting their beauty at me. With the peach note it reminds me a little of Repose, but less buttery. As it dries down, it's wonderfully round and lush. The combination of cardamom and peach is bliss. It's a delicious, happy fragrance, one that will be very cheering on bleak winter days.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Petticoats wrote:This was my initial favorite from my Yule order until the others started flaunting their beauty at me. With the peach note it reminds me a little of Repose, but less buttery. As it dries down, it's wonderfully round and lush. The combination of cardamom and peach is bliss. It's a delicious, happy fragrance, one that will be very cheering on bleak winter days.

This was on my maybe list, you're making me rethink it.... :grin:
Zahira
primordial
primordial

Post by Zahira »

I waited a few days to review this, because when I first opened the bottle, it smelled like cough syrup so strongly that I almost gagged. A few days later, the cough syrup smell has toned down a bit, and a bit of spice comes through. When I tried this on my skin, the cough syrup note fades away rapidly, thank goodness. It is very fruity, grapey with a slice of peach. The cardomom and spice peek out after a few minutes, but my nose is having a hard time detecting the frankincense. Ultimately, the spice fades away, and I'm just left with that grapey smell. I guess wine scents are just not for me.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Zahira wrote:I waited a few days to review this, because when I first opened the bottle, it smelled like cough syrup so strongly that I almost gagged. A few days later, the cough syrup smell has toned down a bit, and a bit of spice comes through. When I tried this on my skin, the cough syrup note fades away rapidly, thank goodness. It is very fruity, grapey with a slice of peach. The cardomom and spice peek out after a few minutes, but my nose is having a hard time detecting the frankincense. Ultimately, the spice fades away, and I'm just left with that grapey smell. I guess wine scents are just not for me.

Yeah I'm cautious of the wine note. I too tend to turn wine notes into grape koolaid. Which is a shame, I'd love a good "wine" perfume, I like to drink the stuff after all. Funny, the hard liquor notes like brandy, or whiskey, do just fine.
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

Wine is a favorite note of mine, but I'm not getting that here. I was kind of hoping for something akin to peach Schnapps, but no. I can't distinguish this one from Yule Romp. It has that same Christmas candle fragrance to me, sort of artificial and heavy on the cinnamon and bayberry. My nose lacks sophistication in certain categories, which is why there might be a group of notes that all read the same to me (for instance, frankincense, myrrh, dragon's blood, sandalwood often just read as "incense" to me). I don't know what this one and Yule Romp have in common, I am just getting "Pier 1 candle" out of them both.
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka »

Will need to give this a proper wearing, but this is what I remember. Starts off as cardamom / something else cinnamony and a little bit of peach. As it dries down, this turns pretty much into wine. Maybe it will round out as it ages, but at the moment the scent lacks a cohesiveness to evoke something beyond the individual notes on my skin. We'll see how it ages!
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka »

Dang, this stuff is SO GOOD now!!! The frankincense, wine and peach have really married together, and the scent is so much deeper than it used to be. It has been six hours since I put it on, and all of the notes are still present, still blended, nothing is overpowering anything else. Really gorgeous, fun and sexy.