Judith Leyster Self Portrait

Smooth resins and incense we have been waiting for, and the chypres we adore.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Judith Leyster Self Portrait

Post by Boudicca »

This one is just drop-dead lovely. The lilt of clove-like carnation takes on a drop of mint and a teaspoon of sugar. Rolled together they have the vibe of Frou-Frou but in a more grown up and sexy way. There is a hint of anise which rises up from it all. A remarkably feminine perfume which manages to retain a sophistication with a wink.

The image is a rare female self portrait in the Dutch style. I much confess I don't know much about Judith Leyster, but this is her self portrait and it is as good as any the men produced. I am sure she was much put upon in her profession but I am glad I discovered her and her good natured self image. What a treat.

Floral, foody, minty, sexy.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Judith Leyster Self Portrait

Post by Annemathematics »

while I've always appreciated the qualities of carnation perfumes, they haven't been scents that I actually wanted to wear myself. carnation is a strong note, and often in the past I'd enjoy about thirty minutes of wearing blends with it, and then start to get overwhelmed and put off by it and I'd have to wash it off.

of course, this was before possets. I tried a decant of Summer (Mucha) (which I actually adore in winter. that spicy carnation is a perfect holiday clove-esque note in this blend). thank you possets voters for making this one a permanent blend! my love of Summer led to me blind buying a bottle of this. it's lovely. it feels...like a carnation julip*? coolness from the mint, with just a touch of mint and a hint of sugar (this has sweetness but isn't overly sweet; the balance is perfect) serve to showcase warmly spicy carnation. this blend showcases all of the complexity of the bloom in a way that is direct but easy to wear. the throw and wear-length are both good. I don't know Fabienne's secret, but I don't get burned out on carnation in this scent. quite the opposite, I adore it.

this is the 2015 yule possets I've been reaching for the most. it seems to layer with and compliment whatever else I have on nicely.

*no it's not boozy, but the other notes showcase the main player the way a julip's mint and sugar showcase your good bourbon or rye.
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

Thank you for this great review, Annemathematics! I've been keeping my eye on this one and after reading your review, I really want to try it!
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

marisaviola wrote:Thank you for this great review, Annemathematics! I've been keeping my eye on this one and after reading your review, I really want to try it!
I agree, great review! And I was really iffy about this one, but your review even makes me want to try it!
Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics »

If one loves carnation, I think one will enjoy this.
It's fun to get that clove like spice without clove this time of year. Seasonally festive, yet with an innovative twist.

Hopefully you guys were able to get samples!
herparents
a spark
a spark

Post by herparents »

Carnation with a spike of mint and lime in the beginning, but then after ten minutes turns into pure carnation. Thankfully I love carnation scents, but the blast of cold sweetness paired with the calm spiciness of carnation in the beginning was truly special. Alas, mint and lime never last long, and ultimately I'm OK that this didn't make it to permanents because it's quite similar to Pre-Raphaelite Seductress and the latter is stronger and fuller-bodied.