Nell Gwyn

Smooth resins and incense we have been waiting for, and the chypres we adore.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Nell Gwyn

Post by Boudicca » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:18 pm

Another winner from suggestions on the forum. I was struck by an ingenious combination and thought i would try it and see how far it went, it goes VERY far! Pink cedar, cream, Thanksgiving pudding all together. It sounded very strange to me and somehow all the ingredients dance along merrily. The "seriousness" and almost bitter wood is sweetened up to a positively jolly state thanks to such rich creamy and sweet asides.

Nell Gwyn was Charles II favorite concubine. She was noted to have a terribly good nature but was nobody's fool. Once her carriage was surrounded by angry citizens who thought that she was the unpleasant mistress who counseled Charles to tax the poor. When her carriage was attacked, Nell stuck her head out and called,"Good people, it's me, Nell Gwyn, the Protestant Whore!" They were delighted.

Foody woody, wonderfull.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

hill78
principalities
principalities

Re: Nell Gwyn

Post by hill78 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:02 pm

This is deliciously creamy and spicy, warm and delicious! The cedar comes in as a more perfumey note after about half an hour, helps tame the foodiness. I really like this a lot. Wore it to work today and kept getting delightful wafts of myself.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:56 pm

I'm not usually a foody person except during seasons. This is one of those seasons. Still I'm cautious, as I wind up making foody scents kind of meh. But this one intrigued me as it has cedar in it and it just sounded lovely though I have no idea what Thanksgiving pudding is, I know, I know I'm a philistine! :rofl:

Apollonia
mortal
mortal

Post by Apollonia » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:00 am

This is probably the most outright fun scent I've tried in a long time.
I'm not really a foodie fan, but I bought a bottle of this because I adore cedar in any form. I'm actually really glad I did because this is wonderful.
Wet: It's all spicy, nutty pudding. Very foodie and utterly delicious without being cloying or super sweet.
Drydown: The spices and nuts from the pudding remain but back off a little and the cedar and musk come through to make this surprisingly wearable as a perfume.
I wasn't sure how foodie + wood would work, but it's actually perfect for someone who gets a kick out of an initial pop of cakey bliss, but doesn't actually want to smell like a pudding all day.

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Oooooh! (I'm now finally in a place where I can give a review in real time, and I'm glad I grabbed this one to start with.)

In the bottle, this is so delicious. I get a rich nutty pudding and a rounded cedar note down on the bottom that merges BEAUTIFULLY with the pudding.

On my skin: Mmmmm, yes. The cedar is a beautiful beautiful backbone to this. As this dries, the cedar remains soft but solid in the background, and merges with what smells like a pecan note with warm custardy pudding. It comes across as a mix of woodsy and foody. I like that this is softly sweet--no cavities in this one--and the sweetness helps to create a nice contrast to the cedar and nuts.

Have you ever walked by a cart that is selling toasted nuts with cinnamon and sugar on a very cold and wintery day? This smells similar to that to me, without being quite as sweet. It's warm and toasted (without coming across as burnt toasted), and adds an element of something triumphant and celebratory against the cold. The cedar is brilliant with this, utterly brilliant. It adds a cinnamonish vibe (and there may actually be cinnamon in here, but thankfully my skin isn't freaking out--although I did just dab a small dot so it may change if I expand to cover more of me), boosts the wood but in a soft and creamy kind of way, and rounds out the whole in such a way that makes this a delightful perfume.

While this is foody, there is definitely a lot more going on here that leans this a bit away from the foody category and more into woods and spices and plain old fashioned happiness categories. SO glad I have this! I can see this being a favorite for me on dreary days (and on days when I just need a happy sexy little boost).
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

Apollonia
mortal
mortal

Post by Apollonia » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:22 pm

Great review! I forgot to mention this has silage like WOW and lasts forever. I got at least 8 hours of relatively strong projection from this and my parents could smell this wafting off me from a couple of metres.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:52 pm

Apollonia wrote:Great review! I forgot to mention this has silage like WOW and lasts forever. I got at least 8 hours of relatively strong projection from this and my parents could smell this wafting off me from a couple of metres.

Now I'm sad I didn't try this one, especially after your's and Maya's reviews!