Osmium

Smooth resins and incense we have been waiting for, and the chypres we adore.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Osmium

Post by Boudicca »

Osmium is one of the elements. The name means "smell". It is a beautiful thing, a blue/silver shiny metallic looking crystal. It is very hard, difficult to work with, and worth a great deal.

In Possets, Osmium is a glorious thing. What a grand tangle of beautiful scents: strong vanilla, refined leather, and a hint of pepper, and a bit of lime. Foody where it should be, leather where it's right, and the rest fit in beautifully. This one is great for seduction, flirtation, contemplation, exasperation, the works. Enjoy it with just about everything. Perfect pitch for Yule.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Re: Osmium

Post by Atropos »

I'd love to see a review of this one...anyone?
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Another request for this one, please, pretty please? Fabienne is about to put up the vote.
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

Well, this one is a surprise! A very well-balanced and uplifting scent. Unlike LaaBU which is big, round vanillas, this is much softer, and on an equal footing with the leather, which is mellow, old, comfortable leather. The lime gives it a lift, and makes it perfumey, but not harsh or astringent, the way I usually think of classic (alcohol-based) perfumes. In fact, if I didn't know this was lime, I couldn't have told you. I am not getting any pepper or spice.

I'm not getting any strong "pictures" in my mind with this one and I fear I am not doing it justice; it's pretty and I think would be appealing to many! Especially those who think they don't like leather, vanilla or lime, because it all kind of morphs into something entirely unlike what you expect from those notes.
MageLocusta
primordial
primordial

Post by MageLocusta »

warriortwo wrote:Well, this one is a surprise! A very well-balanced and uplifting scent. Unlike LaaBU which is big, round vanillas, this is much softer, and on an equal footing with the leather, which is mellow, old, comfortable leather. The lime gives it a lift, and makes it perfumey, but not harsh or astringent, the way I usually think of classic (alcohol-based) perfumes. In fact, if I didn't know this was lime, I couldn't have told you. I am not getting any pepper or spice.

I'm not getting any strong "pictures" in my mind with this one and I fear I am not doing it justice; it's pretty and I think would be appealing to many! Especially those who think they don't like leather, vanilla or lime, because it all kind of morphs into something entirely unlike what you expect from those notes.
I think I just badgered you for a descrip of the scent (and didn't realize you already made one afterwards). *wince*

Still, this is great! I didn't know this had lime in it (Possets is one of the first companies I found that makes a really refreshing lime note). But Mmmmm vanilla and lime sounds awesome! It sounds SO much like this indie cookie brand my mom had once bought which had vanilla and white chocolate cookies with key largo lime (I avoided it for days because as a heathen 8 year old, I hated hard cookies and just ate all the soft Chips Ahoy stuff. Until we ran out of everything else and out of desperation for sugar, I ate the last piece and had the biggest flavor-epiphany ever). The leather note also sounds awesome, so thanks so much for sharing!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Another winner!

In the bottle, I get a very smoky vibe and when I first put it on my skin it came across as smoky and sweet. I completely forgot this had leather in it until it shifted later on and then I remembered this was supposed to be leather. At first though, this is more smoke than leather. However, in the bottle, the leather is definitely there, but it's a soft and warm note not a glossy and hard leather. The lime is also evident, but doesn't scream lime. It's a soft lime and provides the bite this needs, without being too assertive and abrasive. Under it all is a nice rounded sweetness that is probably the vanilla.

Once this is on the skin, it opens and opens wide without shrieking. The smoky vibe dominates for about five minutes as the other notes shift around. Quite frankly, as soon as this was on my skin I went straight into wanting to nibble my arm. The notes in this are so nicely balanced and blended, and the whole of it just rounds out beautifully. This is both a warm and cool perfume, and yet the whole of it is both commanding and comforting.

This is beautiful in so many ways. I could see it being really fantastic on a guy, but I wouldn't call this masculine, per se. It has strength and backbone, and lasts for about 6-8 hours, but it's not overpowering (unless you put too much on--which would be tempting to do because it does smell fantastic). I like that the leather in this never really softened down to a suede note, but stayed gleaming and leather the whole time while still somehow conveying soft leather with a backbone. This is perfumey and rich without being cloying. It has depth, but still comes across as very pretty and very wearable.

There is a part of this that reminds me a bit of Opulentia (without at all being Opulentia in any way), and I think that is because it has that balance of lush fruited roundedness but has a kick that keeps this from being too soft or undefined. It has sweetness and tang. Rich but not fussy. Deep and gleaming, while somehow also conveying lightness and lift. It's lovely, and I think this is going to be worn heavily during this cold and wintry time of year.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!