Thorns and All

Smooth resins and incense we have been waiting for, and the chypres we adore.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Thorns and All

Post by Boudicca »

The torrid love affair between strong modern tea rose and darkest black pepper. Golden amber joins in to try to smooth things out but just ends up making the mix that much more hot. This is the love affair in the snow which leaves behind nothing but water and green grass when the couple get up...it's that hot. If you are a flower hater or a rose hater, give this one a try. It's not like any rose you ever tried before

Floral, spicy, smooth and dry.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Re: Thorns and All

Post by Atropos »

No reviews of this one?
Apollonia
mortal
mortal

Post by Apollonia »

I am (very impatiently) waiting for my bottle of this to arrive and I promise I will post a review the very second I get it.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Apollonia wrote:I am (very impatiently) waiting for my bottle of this to arrive and I promise I will post a review the very second I get it.

YAY!!!! I almost bought a sample of it, but I resisted, because rose can be very lovely or very, very ugly on me. I eagerly await your bottle of that one as well! :hug:
Gemma
archangel
archangel

Post by Gemma »

I was so excited to try this one as I love Fabienne's rose and pepper scents.

On me, this is almost all rose. Soft, dewy, rose; like bringing a flower to your nose after rain. It has incredible throw and staying power, and is quite refreshing. I do not detect the pepper, although I think the amber manifests as a soft, almost powdery note underlying the rose.

This is not what I expected (where is my pepper??) but still lovely. I really want to slather this on for a day and then revisit this review since I think this one might need some time to really bloom.
Apollonia
mortal
mortal

Post by Apollonia »

Thank you Gemma!
I have a sample of BPAL's Hope that I'm almost all out of so even if Thorns and All turns out to be mostly a single, exquisite rose note, I would still be very happy.
Apollonia
mortal
mortal

Post by Apollonia »

I'm trying this one straight out of the letterbox in order to get a review in, but I'll try again later when it's had a chance to rest.

I had to try this one because I was a big fan of Stella, but this is so much better than Stella. This is one of the most lovely, true to life rose scents I've tried. Wet it has a hint of greenery about it. Drydown brings forth a beautiful spicy amber that keeps it from being single note, but the rose definitely predominates.
There is nothing powdery or fake about this rose. I agree with Gemma, it is a dewy fresh rose. It's not a florists rose that looks perfect, it's a one of those cabbage roses that has brown patches on the petals and tiny insects on the stem and grows in a crazy untamed bush up a wall, but that has a scent that just explodes when you bury your nose in it.
Gemma
archangel
archangel

Post by Gemma »

Apollonia wrote:t's not a florists rose that looks perfect, it's a one of those cabbage roses that has brown patches on the petals and tiny insects on the stem and grows in a crazy untamed bush up a wall, but that has a scent that just explodes when you bury your nose in it.
Perfect description!
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Apollonia wrote:I'm trying this one straight out of the letterbox in order to get a review in, but I'll try again later when it's had a chance to rest.

I had to try this one because I was a big fan of Stella, but this is so much better than Stella. This is one of the most lovely, true to life rose scents I've tried. Wet it has a hint of greenery about it. Drydown brings forth a beautiful spicy amber that keeps it from being single note, but the rose definitely predominates.
There is nothing powdery or fake about this rose. I agree with Gemma, it is a dewy fresh rose. It's not a florists rose that looks perfect, it's a one of those cabbage roses that has brown patches on the petals and tiny insects on the stem and grows in a crazy untamed bush up a wall, but that has a scent that just explodes when you bury your nose in it.

Both you and Gemma have done wonderful reviews on this one. I especially love your description that it's a cabbage rose with bugs and imperfections, but wild and free. That's a rose love. I don't like florists roses with their perfect blooms, they have no scent. And truth be told I find them rather ugly. I like old fashioned roses, or the original five petaled wild rose. This perfume sounds like those kinds of roses beautiful, wild and brambly. That's the rose I would be, If I was to be a rose that is. :grin:
Apollonia
mortal
mortal

Post by Apollonia »

Me too! I have rose bushes at home and they are extremely thorny, the blossoms are an exploded mess and usually have adorable little jumping spiders in them, but they are always, always in my house because I don't keep them for their looks but their scent. As Fabienne said in the description, the scent is hot. Not "sexy" hot, but hot hot. Like, it's how my roses smell right now, in the middle of summer when you have to put sunscreen on at 6am to cut them. You could call this one "Australian Roses"!