Thorns and All

Smooth resins and incense we have been waiting for, and the chypres we adore.

Moderator: Maya

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Re: Thorns and All

Post by Atropos »

Apollonia wrote:Me too! I have rose bushes at home and they are extremely thorny, the blossoms are an exploded mess and usually have adorable little jumping spiders in them, but they are always, always in my house because I don't keep them for their looks but their scent. As Fabienne said in the description, the scent is hot. Not "sexy" hot, but hot hot. Like, it's how my roses smell right now, in the middle of summer when you have to put sunscreen on at 6am to cut them. You could call this one "Australian Roses"!
Oh I do love roses (and the jumping spiders, they are adorable), I'm growing a white called Kennedy (named after JFK), a wild pink of some kind that is the old five petaled pentacle,what I call the "Venus" type rose, in pink. And I just purchased a "blue" rose, light blue lavender, called "Blue Girl" that smells divine! I only need to figure out how to get it to tease out the blooms better, as they tend to get brown spots then not open (Blue Girl, not the other two). But still they smell divine. Oh and one that doesn't smell strong (sadly) but makes the most luscious profusion of small pink blooms in bouquets, great for taking indoors for their looks, called "Fairy". I'd really love to get "Flower Girl" which is a larger profusion of pink blooms in bouquets (they grow that way, like bouquets carried by little girls in a wedding, hence the name), and they have an antique rose smell. My mum had them but a terrible disease hit her roses, a type that hits the soil and takes two years of not growing roses in it before you can try again. It's so sad, her bushes were huge and made such a mess of flowers that you could smell them before you saw them. All gone now. And I'd love to have one that is striped like peppermint candies, and again, smells like a tea rose, but I don't remember the name, just the color. :trout:

My next rose bush is going to be Angel Mist, I think, it's a purple rose, that also smells amazing. I have a thing for roses. I must come to Australia, if only to sniff the roses!
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

My all time favorite rose is Marie Pavey. It is very old (1888) and a polyantha. The blooms are not wonderful BUT the scent...ooo la la!
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

Wow, I find rose cultivation fascinating (yet totally foreign). I just looked up the Marie Pavie rose to see how a rose like that is purchased/grown, etc. and it says "Use for borders, small hedges. Recommended for novice gardeners. This rose is on our "bulletproof" list." and it lists the fragrance as "musk". :hrt::
Apollonia
mortal
mortal

Post by Apollonia »

@warriortwo I have pink Marie Pavies and Autumn Damasks and they are both totally bullet proof. I know next to nothing about rose cultivation, I just plant them along a stone retaining wall with good drainage (they don't like getting their feet wet) and let them do their thing. They're both rambling roses with small, wild blossoms that don't grow on a long stem. You do have to cut them back a bit because they grow fast and EVERYWHERE. The Autumn Damask are the ugliest flowers I've ever seen, but their scent is glorious!
My favourites though are my Madame Isaac Perieres. They're big, almost raspberry coloured flowers (that also look a little wild and exploded too) but they are probably the strongest smelling rose. Just a couple on my dining table will fragrance most of my house. I could swear that's the smell that's in Thorns and All, it is so intense and realistic.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

fabienne wrote:My all time favorite rose is Marie Pavey. It is very old (1888) and a polyantha. The blooms are not wonderful BUT the scent...ooo la la!

OOOOHH another for my collection along with Autumn Damask. I prefer scent to looks, hence I hate florist shop roses. BORING! IF I can get beauty and scent, fantastic, still scent trumps all, save one exception. I got a rose, a continual bloomer if one trims the dead heads back to the five leaf configuration. It was such an unusual color I had to have it, despite no scent. It's called Cinco de Mayo and it's a copper colored rose and has beautiful blooms. They are very pretty. I am hoping to mix them with my Blue Girls to get beauty and scent in an arrangement in the house. I think the purple and copper would make a "sunset" of color.

OMG the Marie Pavie is GORGEOUS! I must have it! Beauty and great smell. Plus its bulletproof? Okay I am just learning about roses. That's one I would like to have.
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

Atropos wrote:OMG the Marie Pavie is GORGEOUS! I must have it! Beauty and great smell. Plus its bulletproof? Okay I am just learning about roses. That's one I would like to have.
I think they're beautiful, too. I prefer the wilder-looking roses to the ones with tight, perfect blooms. They remind me of the ones in this picture of Nick Drake. Every time I see it I think, "I'd love to have a rose bush like that." I also think of this picture as having more roses in it than it really does.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

LOL me TOO! Thought that picture had more roses. But I do love the Marie Parvie, and I think the Autumn Damask is pretty too. I like wilder roses, and even the old, old, old fashioned five petaled varieties. Those are really hardy. I have one of those and our contractors ran over it repeatedly with a little cement lifter. I thought for sure it was a goner but nope. It loved the abuse. Thrived even more after. Now I cut it brutally so it keeps on being happy.
Apollonia
mortal
mortal

Post by Apollonia »

They totally do thrive on abuse! I cut mine back really severely because I had no idea what I was doing, and I ended up with more flowers than I've ever had before.
herparents
a spark
a spark

Post by herparents »

Possets really has the best rose notes. This is just like walking into one of those freezers of roses at the flower shop. The smell of refrigerated roses and cold greenery is one of my favorite things in the world. I have noticed though, that it's extremely hard to preserve that "cold" scent on the skin (how can you preserve the scent of a freezer on warm skin? Maybe if you were Mr. Freeze), but this does it better than most. Amazingly, I still smell like cold roses and dewy greenery after the drydown, just not as strongly.