Winter (Mucha)

Smooth resins and incense we have been waiting for, and the chypres we adore.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Winter (Mucha)

Post by Boudicca »

I was playing around with chypre again and thought that a delightful variation on it would be a winter blend with a light call to the spring which will reward us in March. Just as the world is heading into the cold times, ice, and storms it's nice to know that there is another spring waiting for us at the end of the season. Oakmoss from France, and French lavender, a very smooth amber which is thick and very golden lays the bed for a brilliant and true violet to float on top. This is far more than the sum of its parts, and I knew it was a real winner when I first smelled it in the mixing room. This is going to be a season's staple for me, and I hope that you try it as well.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Winter (Mucha)

Post by Petticoats »

This is an intriguing chypre. Up close I get the oakmoss and amber, but if I sniff from just a little farther away it's more about the lavender and violet, which create a very cool, wintery fragrance that is also quite ladylike and feminine. Violet has always seemed chilly to me, as well as powdery, so it's a great addition to a winter chypre. I need to test this more to see how all the notes play together over time.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Petticoats wrote:This is an intriguing chypre. Up close I get the oakmoss and amber, but if I sniff from just a little farther away it's more about the lavender and violet, which create a very cool, wintery fragrance that is also quite ladylike and feminine. Violet has always seemed chilly to me, as well as powdery, so it's a great addition to a winter chypre. I need to test this more to see how all the notes play together over time.
How powdery does it get? I tend to amp powder to POW, POW, POWDER!!!! Then I smell like a baby's newly diapered butt, or an old lady, depending. Not the two choices I'm looking for in a perfume. ROFL! But I loved Summer by Murcha that Fabienne did. Winter is one of my favorite seasons, so I'm hoping that I can wear this one too. Violets are one of the florals I can usually get away with. Lavender can be tricky, depending on the type used. More masculine and I can do it, but there's one, or maybe several, lavender notes that go all horribly soapy, and I mean a cheap soap, like a public bathroom along a highway soap. Blech.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Wearing this again now that it's had a chance to settle, and it's so beautiful! The amber-lavender combo reminds me of Sweetbaby, and the violet and oakmoss are perfectly balanced. @Atropos, it's not super powdery, but the lavender may not be masculine enough for you. (I love that it's not the astringent, assertive lavender but a beautiful, feminine one.)

If you're a fan of Possets chypres and lavenders, I strongly recommend this. It is dreamy.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

I was so excited to receive my package yesterday from Fabienne! One of Yules I chose is Winter (Mucha) and I would agree with Petticoats' assessment that it is beautiful. Winter (Mucha) is glorious and complex, and I feel has the makings of a true classic. This fragrance is skillfully blended and lasts well on me for a number of hours. I wore it both yesterday evening and today. Like Petticoats said, I would agree that for me also initially I had one impression and then as it had a chance to sit and settle, I am getting a clearer and more in-depth impression a day later. When I smell Winter in vitro it comes across as fey and almost elusive and farouche, with a layer of fresh lavender that I smell initially--then when I put it on and it begins to warm up on my skin, the amber and oakmoss come through anchoring the beautiful violet and the lavender. I think my use of "fey" is comparable to what Petticoats mentioned about the coolness it conveys and the winter aspect of it. Then it warms up thanks to the rich amber, and I would say both the lavender and violet mingle beautifully and are a good balance for each other. As it dries down and settles on my skin, I am also smelling an orris type note which I am sure derives from the violet. I would say this violet is similar to a Devon type of violet, which is a gentle and soft, but I would not say powder-like in a baby powder way. The lavender is not overly camphorous or herbal, and is perhaps one of the more floral types of lavender, like English lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) or the type grown in higher altitudes in France that has the higher linalool content that makes it sweeter.

I can see why Fabienne felt this was a winner when she smelled it in her lab! I would agree! This is one I love enough to consider getting a back-up bottle as I don't want to run out and I foresee wearing this in both winter and spring.
fireweaver
mortal
mortal

Post by fireweaver »

I wish this worked on me as well as you. Each scent remained distinct, and kind of jarring to my nose, until the scent went powdery(not a bad powder, but, still). I blame the oakmoss, as it's done that to me before. I'm putting it in timeout, because I like each individual note, I just want them to play nice.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Petticoats wrote:Wearing this again now that it's had a chance to settle, and it's so beautiful! The amber-lavender combo reminds me of Sweetbaby, and the violet and oakmoss are perfectly balanced. @Atropos, it's not super powdery, but the lavender may not be masculine enough for you. (I love that it's not the astringent, assertive lavender but a beautiful, feminine one.)

If you're a fan of Possets chypres and lavenders, I strongly recommend this. It is dreamy.

Thanks Petticoats! I am really leaning towards this one.I love oakmoss, and Fabienne's lavenders are some of the loveliest and used so skillfully that I hardly run into one she uses that I don't like. Darn, again, may have to bump this one up the list. At this rate I'll have nothing on the "no" list. ROFL! :rofl:
Gemma
archangel
archangel

Post by Gemma »

When I first applied this, all I could think is that this is a true 'high key' scent; classic and decidedly feminine.

I didn't revisit the description before sampling so I was totally in the dark. This has amazing throw and was really evocative of cold; crystalline ice and snowflakes. But as I bring my nose close to my skin, suddenly it's warm and soft! There's something so cozy hiding beneath that ice crust. At this point, I had to check the description and it all made sense. I think the warmth is the amber and lavender (although, I would be hard pressed to identify either note on their own in this) and the top singing note is the violet.

This is nothing like what I usually wear, which is why I had to try it. I want to wear this for a day and revisit this review. Right now, I can say this is a classic and not to be missed. So beautiful and wintery!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Oh dear oh me oh my. Mmmmm. Yes. Mmmmmmmmm.

Okay, let me try to give this more than mmmm.

First, I have to say that if I could I would buy every single chypre that Fabienne makes. This from someone who detested chypre before finding Possets. I have become a fan, but I admit to degrees within that. I'd still buy them though, because who just wants one Monet?

True to the description, this opens very much as a Fabienne chypre. For a moment, I get a very rich pop of oakmoss which immediately shifts down to Silver Chypre on me. I started to think, "Hmm, I love Silver Chypre, but don't want two of them," and then this began to shift into smokey chypre, then slightly citrus chypre, then the violet slowly drifted to the top to smooth it all over.

Do I even need to say I love this? If you aren't sure how I feel: I love this. It's Silver Chypre meets smoked violets laced in...wait...there it is Apep. It reminds me of a chypred Apep wreathed in smoke and violets.

Of course it didn't make permanents. Of course I am trying to talk myself out of needing another bottle. Of course it's already on my retour list.

What's funny is that on my skin it's almost a touch plastic and woodsy from the oakmoss, but the air around me is the MOST stunning. If I walked into a room and smelled my waft, I'd have a hard time not taking me home just so I could sit in a corner and smell delicious.

*eyes rolled to the back of the head gone
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Taking a moment to add that this has pretty solid staying power. When I woke up this morning, I still had that gorgeous violets and chypre going on, and way down in the bottom was that Apep reminder. It's definitely not very wafty, but it's still noticeable. The violet has surprised me by being so present at this point, and is the first and top note I smell when I sniff. I never considered violets a perfectly wonderful snuggle scent until now, but they are lovely here with that golden Apepy/chypre vibe.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!