Yule Romp

Smooth resins and incense we have been waiting for, and the chypres we adore.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Yule Romp

Post by Boudicca »

A fun romp in the out-of-doors (with a bit of indoor goodness to keep you warm). Orange and fir, just right for the season. Not too "piney" and not too fruity. We got this one in perfect balance. Actually, these are clementines, the nicest fruit of the season, which are carefully blended with a perfumy fir base, and though there is not sugar in this one, it smells very sweet and much more feminine than masculine.

Resin (Pine)
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Re: Yule Romp

Post by warriortwo »

This is the only sample I picked that I don't like right off the bat. It's drying down now, and it smells like a Christmas candle you might find at Pier 1. It even has a slightly waxy tinge to it. Intense. Slightly spicy (though not spice, it's probably the sharpness of the fir and the zest of the orange working together).

This doesn't mean nobody will like it! It's just veering heavily (for me) into potpourri territory.
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka »

My experience is similar to warriortwo's.

I smell clementines whose zest is toned down with something waxy, with the slightest hint of spice. I'm not really getting the fir. As a result, the scent smells like a citrusy (but not tangy) candle, ever so slightly headed towards potpourri.

Not bad, but probably not something I would wear. Perhaps time will help bring out the fir. If not, I'm sure the oil burner will like it :grin:
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka »

Update! Of course, a few hours after I wrote "probably not something I would wear", I smelled the bottle on my table, thought "yummy", and put it on for the second day in a row :trout: There is something very comforting and noble in the sweet clementine candle scent that this turns out to be. Like a candlelight service on Christmas Eve.

There is definitely fir in the bottle - it's just that my skin eats it all.
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka »

OK - now that I'm wearing the heart out of this one, I think it merits a third update review from me. The more I wear it, the more I like it. It definitely deserves its place in the sun.

Yule Romp fits the really hard niche of a "bright" Yule citrus scent, while still retaining the character of the season and without veering into summer territory. Most Yule citrus scents are deep and resinous / dark-ish, like Pachelbel's Canon from last year (orange + sandalwood). I love them, but sometimes you just want a citrus that is bright and happy, but still reminds you of Christmas and not of summer. Yule Romp is the only scent I own that fits that bill. So even though it's not what I thought it would be and I'm not getting any fir, I am finally appreciating it for what it is. Christmas clementines by candlelight :heartrise: