Berenice

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Berenice

Post by Boudicca »

Berenice was a very very naughty girl. She is also mentioned in the Bible (but they don't go into detail). She was the sister of Agrippa II, ruler of Judaea and was married to a distinguished man at an early age and he died quite soon afterwards. She was then married to her uncle and had a couple of children by him, then moved in with her brother and started a relationship with him. She left him for a minor king of the area then deserted him to return to her brother. Finally, she met the future emperor of Rome, Titus. It was love at first sight for the both of them even though she was 11 years his senior. They lived in Rome and she acted in every way as his wife BUT the senate and people of Rome hated her and she was banished from the Eternal City never to return.

I like to think that Berenice presented herself as a naive girl, all cuteness and sweetness and then sprung the trap. To that end, I have put in a "champagne" musk which is very sparkly indeed and enough pink grapefruit to make it quite a paring, a dash of lemon zest, a veil of dragons' blood (an incensy sort) and you have what I consider a portrait in perfume of this little vamp.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
bewareofduck

Re: Berenice

Post by bewareofduck »

It starts out smelling like a really good lemon curd, tart but quite sweet and candied. While I realize citrus isn't the most lasting of notes, unfortunately that awesome citrus tartness fades in under an hour into a very lightly citrusy sweet musk. I'm not distinguishing the dragon's blood but it's probably what's helping lend a bit of bite even after a few hours and keeping it from entirely fading into generic sweetness. Then again I'm a fan of strong incense perfumes so it may appear subtler to me than to others.
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

At first sniff, I could not distinguish this scent from Girl in White. I am getting mostly sweet grapefruit, and I can't tell the difference between pink musk (Girl in White) from champagne musk (Berenice). I tried both side-by-side. The difference comes in about 15 minutes into wearing: GiW is a little more crisp and dry with a "white" fruitiness, Berenice slightly rounder, resinous, and leaning toward a "red" fruitiness. GiW feels more demure, Berenice more bohemian. Girl in White leans slightly towards vanilla. They're both very beautiful, but having full bottles of both Girl in White and Empress Cixi, I will pass on getting a full bottle of this.
tleslie832
a spark
a spark

Post by tleslie832 »

I just tried this and am in LOVE :hrt:: I'm not good at describing scents, but it was just very clean and fresh. I didn't pick up any individual notes (I'll maybe pay more attention next time) but overall it had this almost water feel to it. It reminded me of another perfume I had only I think this is softer. Positively beautiful!