Delilah

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Delilah

Post by Boudicca »

Tangled Sampson with her beauty and wiles, she knew that his hair was the source of his strength. She beguiled him and while he slept, took a pair of sheep sheers and cut off all his glorious curls. He looked a sight and was stripped of his strength. Part of her battery of weapons? Her perfume! All natural from the exotic east...cedar essence from the Cedars of Lebanon, rosewood from sources unknown, muhuhu (a wood which is incredably unique in scent at once incensy and paper-like at the same time), a bit of luan, and finally rich dark patchouli from India. Sampson probably smelled of this fabulous potion for days after he woke up. It is dark and incredibly seductive. Woody, resinous.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Re: Delilah

Post by warriortwo »

The overall feeling I got from Delilah was leather, something like a horse saddle, and soap. (Saddle soap?) The quality is very herbal and clean. It's lovely in a way that doesn't jibe with my character, but makes for a nice, interesting perfume.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

OMG How did I miss this one in the circle? I want to try Delilah!
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

wet: I got a big herbal blast when wet. It smelled like sharp lavender plus something gritty/dirty.

drying: This resolved into leather, and the herbal note dies down really quickly. Now it smells like a tack room (leather) with a cedar shavings (cedar + muhuhu?) note underneath. So, a tack room with a cedar closet.

full drydown: Still tack room. Note, this is not a negative connotation for me. Leather as saddles and bridles was my happy place for many years. I am not saying that there is the smell of horse [though, as an aside, if someone could make a scent that is horse musk plus leather, I'd be forever grateful!!], just describing the quality of the leather... an oiled leather that is well broken in. Not soft dry suede, not sharp patent leather.

Under the leather, there is a lovely dry woody smell. I distinctly get cedar, and the luan/rosewood smells like a woodshop (another happy place for me). It's also got a small aspect to the scent of something clean and sort of lotion/oil-esque. It's not that strong but it keeps things from feeling "farm-ish" or dirty, despite the patchouli. The patchouli is really combining into the wood and leather notes and doesn't stand out separately to my nose.

This is basically clean, used leather and dry, slightly papery wood notes. No sweetness, no musk, no nonsense. I think this is the epitome of unisex. Very natural, well grounded, outdoorsy due to the scent connotations for me. Very pleasant and relaxed, a bit hippie and a bit carpenter. Low to medium throw but long-lasting. I'd immediately trust anyone wearing this (poor Samson).

Fabienne - you're a marvel: Basically, this scent creates a mental picture of my 15 year old self. Farm girl, horse afficianado, bookworm in jeans and cowboy boots, making my own bookshelves in Dad's woodshop. Capable hands working with worn tools, long braid swinging. Ready with a smile, but no time for teenage melodrama or worrying about what other people think of me yet. Now in my 40's, I'm edging back that way again :hrt::
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

gypsyjolie wrote:wet: I got a big herbal blast when wet. It smelled like sharp lavender plus something gritty/dirty.

drying: This resolved into leather, and the herbal note dies down really quickly. Now it smells like a tack room (leather) with a cedar shavings (cedar + muhuhu?) note underneath. So, a tack room with a cedar closet.

full drydown: Still tack room. Note, this is not a negative connotation for me. Leather as saddles and bridles was my happy place for many years. I am not saying that there is the smell of horse [though, as an aside, if someone could make a scent that is horse musk plus leather, I'd be forever grateful!!], just describing the quality of the leather... an oiled leather that is well broken in. Not soft dry suede, not sharp patent leather.

Under the leather, there is a lovely dry woody smell. I distinctly get cedar, and the luan/rosewood smells like a woodshop (another happy place for me). It's also got a small aspect to the scent of something clean and sort of lotion/oil-esque. It's not that strong but it keeps things from feeling "farm-ish" or dirty, despite the patchouli. The patchouli is really combining into the wood and leather notes and doesn't stand out separately to my nose.

This is basically clean, used leather and dry, slightly papery wood notes. No sweetness, no musk, no nonsense. I think this is the epitome of unisex. Very natural, well grounded, outdoorsy due to the scent connotations for me. Very pleasant and relaxed, a bit hippie and a bit carpenter. Low to medium throw but long-lasting. I'd immediately trust anyone wearing this (poor Samson).

Fabienne - you're a marvel: Basically, this scent creates a mental picture of my 15 year old self. Farm girl, horse afficianado, bookworm in jeans and cowboy boots, making my own bookshelves in Dad's woodshop. Capable hands working with worn tools, long braid swinging. Ready with a smile, but no time for teenage melodrama or worrying about what other people think of me yet. Now in my 40's, I'm edging back that way again :hrt::

Your 15 year old self, and my 15 year old self would have gotten along splendidly. I'm edging back to that girl too.
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

Delilah smells like sharp woods while wet in the vial. When I put it on, it stays a base fragrance and is linear in that sense. This is similar to the wood version of a soliflore but rather than a vision of a flower it's a portrait of a collection of wood notes.

I can't make out which woods are standing out to me, as they are well-blended with one another. When I put it on, I get a scorched note that comes through. After it dries on my skin, I began to smell a burning rubber smell. It stayed pretty true to this note for the duration of wearing it, and lasted about three to four hours on me. At the last stage, it became more of a straight wood fragrance with a bit of pencil shavings scent. I did not get the leather that another reviewer mentioned.