Judith

Moderator: Maya

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Re: Judith

Post by Atropos »

I couldn't help it, I know I shouldn't. but I tried this right out of the mailbox because it smelled soooooo damn good in the bottle. And yes, this one, is a treasure beyond price, because it's going to age to perfection. Anything that smells this good in the bottle, and on my skin after being bounced about, jostled and molested by the mail system is only going to be even better once it settles down. OMG this is a stunner! I keep sniffing my hand and I hardly know where to begin.

So I was reticent about this one, as my last experience with vetiver and vanilla became plastic baby doll on me in the Lady and the Baby Unicorn. A huge disappointment. But not this time. This is how I expected LatBU to be. Vertiver is a base, and like warriortwo said, it gives that "nutty" note. But fear not, it's not food nut, just a general impression. Then the vanilla, rosewood, sandalwood, and frankincense turn into a gorgeous smooth, almost honey scent. The cardamom is there, but it's not really a discernible separate note, it just adds a touch of "oomph" to the honey-like fragrance I'm getting. And no, it's not foody "honey" like you get in the Girls Love series. This is more of creamed honey, you know the "white creamy" honey, also called spreadable honey, or whipped honey. And that comes from vanilla, rosewood, frankincense and sandalwood blending on my skin, melding so artfully together they are amazing!

I will be super surprised if this doesn't make the permanents. I can't believe how good it is right out of the mail.
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

wet: golden, honeyed, woods. So gloriously golden. The glowing golden part (I am assuming vanilla/frankincense) is sweet and strong, with an undertone and texture of powdery sandalwood, with a polished wood scent (probably the rosewood) as well.

drying: I am loving the woody aspects to this! There is my lovely sandalwood, plus a hint of what smells like aromatic cedar, and a deeper, darker wood too. Maybe that is the cardamom playing in the woods. It all dripped over with that sweet, honeyed, golden almost liquid layer of vanilla/frankincense. All the scents meld perfectly. It's sweet and yet earthy in a slightly incensey way. It's very cheerful too.

full drydown: Basically the same. Not much morphing. Great throw. I get more cardamom and rosewood sniffing up close, and more of the vanilla/frankincense/sandalwood in the throw. This is a real mood-lifter, especially in the winter blahs.

This is a powerhouse. Big throw, long lasting, strong scent. It's scenting my bedroom from the collar of my fleece I wore while testing it out yesterday.

It reminds me a bit of Arcana's Ganesha in the strong honey aspect with spice and the big throw.

Note: This one made my wrists tingle a bit, I am guessing from the cardamom.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

I feel so many wonderful and thorough reviews have been written on Judith that my thought was "what can I add?" and certainly I cannot say it any better. I just got caught up on the latest reviews last night, as I had not realized that Gypsyjolie and Atropos had each written such excellent and detailed ones. I have tried Judith the past two days and will give my summary of it since I know at times the more views we have the more helpful it is. I can identify with Minh Scent's statement about it reminding her of The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba, as when I smell it wet in my decant vial from Angi, I smell strong vanilla. It is not foody, I have the same experience with those who mentioned that. Initially as I smell this on my skin wet, I smell a blending of wood and resins. I smell some vanilla but not in an overly intense or gourmand way. I am not very familiar with the scent of rosewood so am not sure if I am picking it up or not. I get some cardamom which is giving it a slightly spicy note. I do not pick up vetiver in this blend. I think of vetiver from my experience with it in essential oils and perfumery as a very deep, earthy, smoky wood note. Judith stays rather honeyed and golden throughout my wearing it with no major shifts in its intensity. It does show up different aspects of itself during the wearing, though. As it dries on me, I get a period of time where it is reminiscent to me of some aspect of Morgan le Fey, which may be the cardamom coming through. During its longest phase of it dry, I get a lot of creamy sandalwood as Warriortwo mentioned, and this is my favorite part of it. After it wears for several hours on me, the final drydown part is reminiscent to me of Lady and a Baby Unicorn, a blending of vanilla and a light wood. The resins sustain Judith throughout and the frankincense in this is not like a typical church incense but more smooth and golden, with the vanilla accompanying it. My experience of the base notes is similar to what Gysyjolie described in her review. I also get that creamy honey note that Atropos mentioned.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

marisaviola wrote:I feel so many wonderful and thorough reviews have been written on Judith that my thought was "what can I add?" and certainly I cannot say it any better. I just got caught up on the latest reviews last night, as I had not realized that Gypsyjolie and Atropos had each written such excellent and detailed ones. I have tried Judith the past two days and will give my summary of it since I know at times the more views we have the more helpful it is. I can identify with Minh Scent's statement about it reminding her of The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba, as when I smell it wet in my decant vial from Angi, I smell strong vanilla. It is not foody, I have the same experience with those who mentioned that. Initially as I smell this on my skin wet, I smell a blending of wood and resins. I smell some vanilla but not in an overly intense or gourmand way. I am not very familiar with the scent of rosewood so am not sure if I am picking it up or not. I get some cardamom which is giving it a slightly spicy note. I do not pick up vetiver in this blend. I think of vetiver from my experience with it in essential oils and perfumery as a very deep, earthy, smoky wood note. Judith stays rather honeyed and golden throughout my wearing it with no major shifts in its intensity. It does show up different aspects of itself during the wearing, though. As it dries on me, I get a period of time where it is reminiscent to me of some aspect of Morgan le Fey, which may be the cardamom coming through. During its longest phase of it dry, I get a lot of creamy sandalwood as Warriortwo mentioned, and this is my favorite part of it. After it wears for several hours on me, the final drydown part is reminiscent to me of Lady and a Baby Unicorn, a blending of vanilla and a light wood. The resins sustain Judith throughout and the frankincense in this is not like a typical church incense but more smooth and golden, with the vanilla accompanying it. My experience of the base notes is similar to what Gysyjolie described in her review. I also get that creamy honey note that Atropos mentioned.
You added quite a lot, and I love your take on Judith! I love that you brought up Morgan Le Fey and Sheba! YES! And I totally agree it's incense but golden light beautiful incense, rather than a dark heavy church incense (which I also love). Judith should definitely make the permanents, I think. She's rich, complex, golden amazing.