Page 2 of 3

Re: Salome

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:53 pm
by Atropos
hill78 wrote:I have worn this one a lot since it arrived. It has the most wonderful silage. I have gotten so many compliments on this one, and one of my coworkers has already said she plans to order herself a bottle. This is a very complex and beautifully blended scent. Myrrh is the first player on my skin, almost chocolatey but not in an overt or sweet sense. Overall, not a very sweet scent at all on me, considering the notes. This is a rich oriental style scent on my skin. It reminds me of BPAL Snake Oil (after aging has softened the edges), or old-school CK Obsession.

Oh, oh, I can hardly wait for my sample!!! You guys are killin' me! I feel like a kid waiting for Santa Claus! :frolic:

Re: Salome

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:57 am
by gypsyjolie
wet: a metallic-y chocolate resin smell. This opening scent reminds me of the amazing Possets vetivers in the Avalon scents.

drying: It gets warmer and fuzzier on my skin, but still seems oddly metallic. Hill78 says this is myrrh, not the vetiver I was getting. Definitely resiny, and the throw gets stronger as it warms on my skin. This is rich and complex but not all that warm and sweet the way I expected. This is more of an intimidating perfume, definitely

full drydown: The metallic aspect is gone now after 40 minutes. This is smooth and rich, heavy on the myrrh. Hill78 compared it to BPAL's Snake Oil, and the Indonesian Spices part is true but it lacks the warmth of the red musk/vanilla of that scent. Actually, this reminds me more of Arcana's Holy Terror, a frank & myrrh blend, minus the beeswax note of that scent.

It has a woody, cedar-ish undertone, a dryness under the dusty/smoky-ish resin. It's not sweet, just rich. I still get that dark chocolate (like unsweetened baking chocolate) vibe. Kind of a dark and thick scent, though the throw is more rich than heavy. I never got any vanilla at all. A bit mysterious and at the same time inspiring trust. Very charismatic and no-nonsense. This is the scent of a leader!

This is unisex to my nose - would be at home on a man or a woman. I find it sexy because of the mysterious and commanding vibe. The sillage is decent, better when I apply to the warmer bits of myself (cleavage, hairline) than on my wrists (I have very cold hands). Great longevity.

ETA: Yeah, this reminds me SO MUCH of the Avalon line... though even more masterfully done as Fabienne has matured in her skills as well.

Re: Salome

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:13 pm
by hill78
Gypsyjolie, it may be my skin chemistry amping the vanilla hidden underneath and creating the snake oil vibe on my skin. But it definitely isn't a dupe, more of a cousin. Not sweet enough to be in the immediate family :grin:

Re: Salome

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:57 pm
by gypsyjolie
hill78 wrote:Gypsyjolie, it may be my skin chemistry amping the vanilla hidden underneath and creating the snake oil vibe on my skin. But it definitely isn't a dupe, more of a cousin. Not sweet enough to be in the immediate family :grin:
lucky you!

Re: Salome

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:37 pm
by Atropos
I am getting the metallic vibe with chocolate in the bottle. I'm a little nervous about the vetiver and vanilla turning plastic again, but no. So far, so good. Now keep in mind folks, the sample just got to me yesterday in the mail. So it will need to settle and age a little which will change it.

It's interesting. It's surprisingly light, and almost fresh. I'm surprised it's not heavier? Strange, I'm actually getting a maple syrup note after this has faded, and it fades down quick, my skin seems to eat it up, like it was stack of pancakes eaten so quickly only crumbs and pools of syrup remain. I think I'm going to need to let this settle and age a bit. I'm worried that it's the vertiver and vanilla doing funky things together. :grin:

Re: Salome

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:51 pm
by warriortwo
Right out of the vial: Nutella.

On the skin: chocolatey resins. Definitely a woody background. Like cedar. Something I'm interpreting as Play-Doh (probably the vanilla). It's not unpleasant...I too am getting a hint of vetiver, though lately I have been reading vetiver as woody and woods as nutty, and vetiver is also nutty, and so far (apart from Miss Chudleigh, which is on a whole other planet) all the Femmes I've chosen from this collection are nutty in the vial. This is sweeter than your average resinous perfume. Verging on foody.

ETA: a couple of hours later, it's smelling very similar to Lady and a Baby Unicorn.

Re: Salome

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:05 am
by Atropos
warriortwo wrote:Right out of the vial: Nutella.

On the skin: chocolatey resins. Definitely a woody background. Like cedar. Something I'm interpreting as Play-Doh (probably the vanilla). It's not unpleasant...I too am getting a hint of vetiver, though lately I have been reading vetiver as woody and woods as nutty, and vetiver is also nutty, and so far (apart from Miss Chudleigh, which is on a whole other planet) all the Femmes I've chosen from this collection are nutty in the vial. This is sweeter than your average resinous perfume. Verging on foody.
Oh yes, very much verging on foody, maybe that's why I'm reading maple syrup from it. ROFL!

Re: Salome

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:00 am
by Apollonia
This one went on wet smelling very similar to a lot of other perfume oils I've smelled before, so I was prepared for Salome to be nice, but not really anything different. Dry though, the vanilla and woods meld in a very unusual, but lovely way. If this is what Lady and a Baby Unicorn smelled like on some people, I can see why it made permanents (it smelled like peanut butter on me). There is an extremely strange note (which I assume is the coffee pulp) that threatens to overwhelm the whole thing at any time, but it never does. This is one of those bizarre perfumes that will waft one completely different scent to the one you get when you sniff it up close. Up close, there's a lot of warm vanilla. The wafts I keep getting though are very woody and resinous.
This one isn't an essential purchase for me, but it's definitely different and worth trying.

Re: Salome

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:34 pm
by Atropos
Apollonia wrote:This one went on wet smelling very similar to a lot of other perfume oils I've smelled before, so I was prepared for Salome to be nice, but not really anything different. Dry though, the vanilla and woods meld in a very unusual, but lovely way. If this is what Lady and a Baby Unicorn smelled like on some people, I can see why it made permanents (it smelled like peanut butter on me). There is an extremely strange note (which I assume is the coffee pulp) that threatens to overwhelm the whole thing at any time, but it never does. This is one of those bizarre perfumes that will waft one completely different scent to the one you get when you sniff it up close. Up close, there's a lot of warm vanilla. The wafts I keep getting though are very woody and resinous.
This one isn't an essential purchase for me, but it's definitely different and worth trying.

I agree, it's an odd one. Again, one that only certain skin chemistry will work on. I'm going to try it again, but I'm thinking it's vertiver that's not playing well with my skin in combo with other notes. Maybe the vanilla and coffee pulp?

Re: Salome

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:49 pm
by Apollonia
Atropos wrote: I agree, it's an odd one. Again, one that only certain skin chemistry will work on. I'm going to try it again, but I'm thinking it's vertiver that's not playing well with my skin in combo with other notes. Maybe the vanilla and coffee pulp?
Yes, I think vetiver and I may just not be meant to be. It's wearable, but that sharp note really dominates on my skin in a way that's very ozone-like which is probably wonderful if your skin does well with ozones.